CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi again, major repairs on the '97 DeVille

hjb981

I agree airmike, get the HG issue out of the way, so you know how to proceed.

Hjb981, did you stick your nose in the tank and take a wiff?, mine had strong exhaust odor.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I definitely smells in the tank. It is particularly noticable how different it is when compared side-by-side to new coolant. I suppose it could be exhaust I am smelling - it smells pretty bad. I still think that I can smell a bit of gasoline (although not as noticable this time - it varies), but of course it is hard to tell for 100 % sure, since it is a mix of different smells.

It is likely exhaust you smell.

And I can tell you from experience I passed several by product tests when my 96 was doing what you describe but it was still bad.

My huge tip to you if you want to try it.

Crush a few bars leak tabs, put them into the lower radiator hose. Run engine for a few weeks. If cold start misfire disappears you know what your problem is.

If I added bars leak it would make my misfire and coolant consumption go away for a short bit but it would eventually come back after about 6 months or so.

That tip is cheap and easy to do.

Depending on the occurance of your mmisfire issue you may notice a difference in one day.

Please do a search for my thread called COLD START MISFIRE IN THE General Discussion section.

you will likely get some useful info.

I just want to note I am not badmouthing the engines or trying to get you to dump a perfectly good vehicle. Trust me I have dealt with enough of these and that is why I fix them and stick with them.

I bought a 97 last month and right off the bat threw 2k into having the engine swapped. I call that loyalty.

I want to be very honest and dont want to see people waste time and money chasing their tail.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

We have someone on another thread that has a bad FPR with moderate to advanced head gasket leakage and he has gas in the coolant. And, he has oil in the water.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived