CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question,

When I drive down to less than 2-3 gallons left in the tank the gauge starts moving upwards till it hits about 3/4 of tank.

The computer monitor works fine and is always within a .2 gallon when I fill up.

Not sure if this is a symptom of something to come.

It may just be sulfur corrosion on the sending unit. GM makes a fuel system cleaner that you add to the fuel when filling the tank that will remove the corrosion from the sending unit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The GM cleaner is essentially Techron (from Chevron); if that is an easier purchase, go for it. (pretty sure it's quite a bit cheaper than can be had at the dealer).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I had the same problem with my 01 eldo. It got to the point that when it got under 1/2 tank it would go up to 3/4 and the lower it got the fuller the gauge read.

I tried several chevron techron and even other cleaners, It never changed.

I bought the level sender but never changed it before I sold the car.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yep try the techron a few times, maybe strong mix ratio too. The deville had an access panel in the trunk to get to the pump easily, takes about 30 minutes to change the pump/sending unit. If the seville has it then consider replacing the whole unit.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I wish my eldo had it. If it did I would have surely installed the new sender lol.

My 97 SLS needs a fuel pump but that doesnt have a access either. Would be nice

GM FAN FOREVER

I wish my eldo had it. If it did I would have surely installed the new sender lol.

My 97 SLS needs a fuel pump but that doesnt have a access either. Would be nice

Dropping the tank is really not a bad job - as long as the tank is almost empty. I am glad they are putting an access panel in some of the cars though as that makes the process a half hour job vs. a 2-hour job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I dropped the tank on a 95 Eldorado to change the pump, its easier if you have a helper, I did it by myself. Not too bad, I changed the filler pipe at the same time. Keep the fuel level low and plug and cap the lines to prevent spillage and fumes. Used jack stands to get the rear up and a large piece of 1/2" plywood to distribute the load over the bottom of the tank

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have done them before. It would be easier if it werent for the heat shield around the front.

I ordered fuel pump module, filler tube, and straps.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived