CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Deville Instrument Cluster Dark After Replacing Battery

Texas Jim

A good friend of mine (an 81 year old lady) has a 2000 DeVille DTS and had a new battery put in today and now the Digital Dash is dark..

Nothing lights up on the dash now..

Any ideas on something easy for her to check before she takes it to the Cadillac dealer...
She lives 75 miles from me, so I can't just jump in the car and go check it for her.

Posted Image

only thing i can think of is if the dimmer is turned down. Sometimes mechanics adjust driver settings or to hold (off&warmer to see if the dash lights up) anything else i can think of involves tools and is probably beyond your friends ability.

only thing i can think of is if the dimmer is turned down. Sometimes mechanics adjust driver settings or to hold (off&warmer to see if the dash lights up) anything else i can think of involves tools and is probably beyond your friends ability.

Thank you for the response... I just figured she would have checked that, but I will call her and have her double check it before taking it to the dealer..

Posted Image

If the dimmer isn't turned down, try disconnecting the negative cable for a few seconds.

It doesn't sound like a fuse, but...

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If the dimmer isn't turned down, try disconnecting the negative cable for a few seconds.

It doesn't sound like a fuse, but...

Thanks Jim, I had her check that... Everything was fine till she took it to Walmart and had the battery replaced...

It has the Digital Dash if that makes any difference..

She is 81 years old and can't take the back seat out to take the battery cables off.

She called me earlier.. she has an appointment to take it to the Cadillac Dealer next Thursday..It's about 65 miles from her house to the Dealer.

Posted Image

I suspect that such issues are not uncommon and the dealer will know what to do, and she will be out in a few minutes.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I suspect that such issues are not uncommon and the dealer will know what to do, and she will be out in a few minutes.

She talked to them this morning Jim and they told her they had a pretty good idea of what it might be and that it MIGHT be a quick fix...

I hope, for her sake, that it is...:)

She is a really nice lady and she loves her 2000 DTS..

She bought it new and keeps it in the garage all the time... It looks just like a brand new one, inside and out.. It's White Diamond with a really light colored tan interior.

Posted Image

Nobody can promise anything over the phone, but their message to her tells me that this is a dealer that does know what to do when that happens. I suspect that the dealer treasures this customer and her Cadillac as you do.

Let us know what happens.

• 1 year later...

Archived