CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I think the key is almost certainly chipped. Ace Hardware, other similar stores and chains, and most locksmiths can make you a chipped key, if you have a good key with you.

I once got a remote for my wife's 1999 Pontiac Grand AM on the Internet and had a locksmith program it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Definitely a chipped key. You can buy a security key many places now, but it'll take a dealer or locksmith to program key to the car. Locksmith is generally cheaper option

For something as simple as programming a new fob to your car, a locksmith is far, far, far cheaper.

A dealer that you work with often may do it for free, particularly when the car is in for something else.

You may be able to program the fob from the HVAC starting with the same process as reading the codes. I did that with my 1997 Eldorado.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

They did away with the diagnostic mode entirely after the 2005 model year, apparently. You have the Customization options in a safer and less slightly geeky user interface now, in some GM models, and all Cadillacs I would hope. When I got the new fob for my wife's car, I heard that GM models with a touch-screen radio or nav system could program a fob without a tool hooked to the OBD interface, but I haven't looked for that on my 2011.

Archived