CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turns over but won't start; loud shriek; P085 code

MrMagoo

Hi, all --

Last night I got the service engine soon light when I got home, and this morning, I could barely get the car started, and it was rough.

I have A011 and P085 codes. I cleaned the throttle body, but since I've never done this, I have no idea how well I did. I left the negative terminal unhooked for 1+ minutes to relearn the idle.

It turns over but it still won't catch. I took a video just now and the link is below.

There is a loud shriek -- it's been doing that for just a few days. I don't know if that's related. I just had it into the dealership for the power steering pump, and I know they would have to have heard that when they started the car.

Anybody have any clues? Thanks in advance.

A011 High Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
P085 (E085) Idle Throttle Angle Too High

I didn't have time to look at the video just now; back later.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks, Jim. I meant to say in the first post that I did look up what the codes meant. The first thing people suggested for P085 was to clean the throttle body (which probably needed it anyway), which is why I did that.

The shriek sounds like a dry bearing of something on the serpentine belt, which, if true, will not throw a code. You can tell better by having someone listen under the hood while you crank your engine. A tube out of a roll of paper towels can help localize the sound. At least, have someone hold the camera over the engine while you crank it so that the sound is clearer.

I don't know the 4.9 and its belts and don't have a FSM that covers the 4.9. The best I can do from the short video is suggest that you look at the belt tensioner idler wheel. It does NOT sound like a bearing from the power steering, A/C, or alternator.

Another possibility is that a belt is loose or worn out, or an accessory that is not turning is holding back the belt, and the belt is slipping at slow starting turnover. It does sound more like a dry bearing than a slipping belt in the video.

Perhaps you could put a trickle charger on the battery overnight. The low crank speed makes it sound like the battery is low. That might solve your starting problem, too, but it is pretty unlikely to solve the noise problem or the codes.

If the codes are both History, try resetting the codes and see if they come back.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks so much, Jim.

I finally got it started by holding the gas to the floor. I tried the idle relearn procedure on it twice and it didn't really work either time. It's idling at about 3500 RPM right now.

I'm at my wit's end with this, and if the dealership isn't smart enough to catch the shrieking noise and say "Oh hay guyz, maybe we should fix this", then.......

I think I'm going to take it to a place here in town tomorrow. I don't have the knowledge to fiddle with the engine and try to fix these codes. I've bitten off more than I can chew. Changing the oil, brakes, maybe even shocks...that I can probably do myself. Maybe.

Holding the accelerator to the floor will shut off the injectors - clear flood mode. Does the car start normally now?

Remove the serpentine belt and see if the squeal is gone - if so, the problem is a dry bearing in one of the accessories (alternator, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley etc.).

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived