CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question on an 2002 Eldorado

I've gotten the bug f or an Eldorado. Just like the way the coupe looks with all the goodies of a luxury car.

I've came across a 2002 that is a numbered collector's edition. I'm not too familiar with the trim levels, does anyone know what the collector's edition added?

Here is some of the info from the advertisement.

2002 Cadillac Eldorado ETC Collector Series #89 of 1596

92,000 Miles, original owner

Dealer Serviced since new.

Also the asking price is $5,000. Do you think that's reasonable for one owner car with dealer service records? I was thinking of offering $4,000 and see where it goes. Worst they can say is no, best is I save some coin.

I checked a car fax on it and no accidents reported, also shows that engine was replaced at 55k miles at dealer. Transmission was replaced at 58k. So hopefully no head gasket or torque converter issues.

As I recall they came in a few special colors, all were fully loaded ETCs, and they had special badging. I once read that the exhaust note is modified to sound like the old big-block Eldorado but I have no information on that. A check of the muffler part number by VIN would tell the tale there.

KBB.com says that this car in Very Good condition (most good used cars) averages $4418 sale price between individuals, and Excellent condition (3% of cars) go for $4795. If the tires are new, the interior and exterior are spotless, and the engine compartment is clean, it's worth about $4800. But there is no check box for Collector's Edition on the KBB.com price estimator.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hmmm got me thinking. That's dangerous. I got a nice offer on my Deville I just bought. Basically about enough to cover the Eldorado. And I've got less than $1300 in the Deville. That's be a nice trade up. Plus who needs 3 Deville's.

The cat is super clean. Always garage no paint work and no rust. Plus it's hard to put a price on the replacement dealer installed engine and transmission with converter. Don't know if it counts for anything but the low number might be cool. I researched and the collector's edition they only made 1596. 532 red then 532 white and another run of 532 red. So white is only 1/3 of the run. I learned the 1st year of the Eldorado they made 532 red and 532 white. That's gotta be an easy decision then. It's either red or white.

If this is the collectors addition, they introduced the final year the Eldorado was produced, it has a special seat and body finish, is that the one?

This edition has a hotter cam also I was told, but it might just be that the PCM has been tweaked to allow the full potential of the CAM. Originally, the ETC/STS version of the engine had too much of a lope at idle and there was a software update to tame the idle. If this is the same edition I say, I saw it in the dealers showroom. If you get this model for $5000, with all the records I think you are getting a steal. Its sort of the V model of the ETC

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I saw this car in the dealer

Cadillac announced that 2002 would be its last year of the Eldorado, so Cadillac built only 1596 Eldorado's to commemorate the 1953 Cadillac Eldorado, which as many of you already may know was Cadillac's first year of the Eldorado. You could only get them in 2 colors, which both were the original colors of the first Eldorado, you could get only 300 in Aztec Red, and 1296 in Alpine White. Every "Collector's Series" came out of the factory with every option offered for the ETC Eldorado. The Eldorado Collector's Series had numerous details that set it apart from a normal ETC. The interior in the Aztec Red ECS came in black with red accents that really spiced it up, and the Alpine White ECS came with a 2 tone Grey interior. In the normal ETC, where the interior had wood grain, the ECS has carbon fiber which gives it a unique and sporty look. Then the most important detail, and which makes it a true Collector's Series is, the dash plaque displaying what consecutive vehicle it is, if it doesn't have that plaque then its not a real ECS. On the exterior, the paint scheme didn't stray to far from a stock ETC, but again the Aztec red in particular gave the car a very unique look, there is no chrome and everything is painted on both the Aztec Red and Alpine White. The ECS still sports ETC badges on the exterior, which hides it's differences a little more. The rims are a 7 spoke, 16 inch chrome model which was designed specifically for this model, it may look similar to some Eldorado's but they aren't the same. The suspension isn't too much different then the ETC, it includes Speed sensitive steering and Stabili-Trac but it does have a lower stance than your run of the mill Eldorado, giving it a much more aggressive and sporty look. Now, on to the drivetrain, The Eldorado has been spiced up a little for the ECS. The first most notable change is the exhaust system, it is a stainless dual exhaust not too much different from the stock ETC, until you turn the key. It has an unmistakable rumble that will have anyone who gets behind the wheel itching to hit the gas a little harder. The rumble of it's exhaust was designed to purposely echo the rumble of a big block 1953 Eldorado, and they did a pretty good job of it. It also brings the horsepower up 25 horses, ECS Cadillac has a total of 325 BHP. There have been rumors that the ECS has a performance chip installed to increase top speed, although it has not been confirmed by GM. The ECS tops out at a unbelievable 155 MPH.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

http://tinyurl.com/negjlbh

Here is the craigslist ad. My father in law knows the owner. I haven't seen the car in person being in Ohio. But I'll probably have father in law buy it and I'll go down and get it. Seems like a car I don't want to hesitate on and lose out on it. It says it's a collector's edition and numbered. And I like the one owner and dealer serviced.

Wouldn't having bad head gaskets just ruin the feeling of I just got a bad *smurf* car. That would be about the only thing that could bust my bubble.

All it takes is letting it go too long without changing the coolant. It never hurts to check. If it comes back negative, then you have peace of mind, which alone is worth what little it costs to test the coolant.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The hard part is I'm about 1200 miles away from the car. My father in law is about 20 miles away. I'm going on his word, then next step is a Cadillac dealer for an inspection

Napa sells a belkamp head gasket tester for $ 42. Very easy an fast to do, warm engine with cap off till stat opens, fill tester with solution to line, put cap on, insert into tank and pump, if head gasket is bad solution turns color quickly.

There is enough solution for many tests

I've got a tester in my tool box. But it's much cheaper for me to pay a dealer down there I$150 to do a vehicle inspection. Right now cheapest air fare I can find is over $265 one way. If I get good report from father in law I'll have it inspected. Then pay $450 ship it up here.

The fact of not dealing with the TSA is almost priceless. I'm about $600 to have a car inspected and shipped, to fly there one way $265-300, gas to drive home $150, food, coffee and lots of red bull to drive 14 hours. And 2 days off work at dealer or side jobs on weekends. That too big a difference.

I'm just hoping this car works out for me.

Good luck

When I bought my xlr I tried to have it shipped for all the same reasons you stated (though different job:)). I had so much trouble getting a shipper to pick it up, that I finally flew to NY and drove it home. I figured the cost in my case close to equal, not counting missing work, which was vacation anyway. When I bought my trans am back I got a little smarter and told the shipping company I would meet at any major city, within 2 hours of me and got it picked right up. As BodybyFisher said good luck to you. I hope its a great car.

My brother owns a car hauling company and I'm starting my own car hauling company next week. Already bought my semi and trailer

JWoods - why don't you approach Bruce about a Vendors board on Caddyinfo. A lot of people buy or sell Cadillacs remotely.

I'm not up and running yet. I've got my attorney getting all my license and items done. It's a lot to get set up with your own trucking authority. More than I thought.

Yeah, lots of details that keep dangerous, uninsured wannabes off the roads, can't-dos from offering services to the public, etc. But when you are done, such a service linked from here will fill a big gap for people looking to spread a wide net for their next car, or to sell a car nationally.

True Jim. The cost to operate legally is not cheap, but I'll be doing a lot of dealership transportation. Plus I'd never risk my business and life savings over lack of license, permits or insurance.

I'll be running pretty much a set route. From the central Ohio area to the New York City area including Long Island and back. I'm not one for bounce around and hope there are cars going that way. There enough business to do the NYC area. In Columbus we have 4 big salvage auctions and a lot of cars go to the Newark NJ area ports. Dealers here but cars out the NYC area because they are way cheaper.

Plus a person can make money doing what not many offer, and trucks tend to try and avoid the NYC area like the plague

Yeah, I hear you about truckers and NYC. As you know, some manholes in Manhattan are a good, tight fit for a truck tire. But in point of fact, dealing with that is just another driving skill. But, once I tried to cross from Long Island to IH 95 North at about 4:00PM and it was about 7:30 PM by the time I got to fast-moving traffic on IH 95. I just looked at what Google Maps would recommend for that route, and I see something I never saw on a Google Maps Directions result before: three routes... including an air route with ticket cost.

Yeah leaving the LIE is an experience, I've made a few trips with my brother and learned that no matter of you leave long island at 4:00pm or 9:00 pm either easy your crossing the GW bridge at 11:00 pm. Might as well pull over somewhere and eat dinner instead of sit in traffic and get mad

The databases of traffic, including accidents, is getting better. Traffic is an option on my nav system and I got it when I started commuting a long way, and it's great. But I find that sometimes an accident doesn't get into the database until you are almost to the site, and sometimes not at all. I don't know how to report an accident; I think that the database feed is from responders.

Archived