CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Considering career change

The time has come to look for more financial independence. My brother has been really successful in the car hauling business. He grew from a dually diesel pickup and a 3 car gasket to 3 semi trucks now. 2 trucks have 9 car capacity and 1 has 8 car capacity.

I've been in dealerships for 21 years now, started as a service advisor and about 15 years ago transition to a technician.don't know I'd anyone here has a job at a dealer but it has pluses and minuses as any job. My biggest peeve is I have so many bosses. A service advisor, service manager, parts manager , service director, general manager and of course customers.

My brother has found me as deal on a semi and a driver to run it. I'd just have to manage clients and booking cars. Good thing is he had enough over flow work that he sublet out to metro my truck running.

Oh I hate the life changing decisions. For a week it's been good and bad. happy to be my own bosses, worried about is it the right move.

At least I can always fall back on wrenching, not like I'm selling my tools.

Oh well I guess another night of sleeping on it.

Life is too short to remain unhappy by choice.

I've only endured one miserable job in my career, and left when the first good opportunity presented itself a year later. That ended up being the best all-around job I ever had. Fifteen years later, I made a major career change that opened up new opportunities that resulted in completely different positions. Each has been a challenge, and I've enjoyed them all. None of it would have happened if I hadn't taken that leap of faith.

The bottom line is, if you don't try, you'll never know. You can always turn a wrench --like you said, if the new job doesn't work out.

May all your dreams come true,

CC

I think going into business for yourself is a great opportunity. If you go into it eyes open, and apparently follow the same business model as your brother, you may have similar success.

Here are some things I would focus on:

Work out the numbers -- how many paying clients does the truck need per month to cover all expenses for truck and driver and your target income?

Who is your competition? What makes them successful? What are their strengths, what are their weaknesses?

How hard is it to get jobs that line up for one truck, given that you need to get jobs on each end so it doesn't cover any or many miles empty?

How reliable is the selected truck, and the selected driver?

Do you have enough capital to cover if the truck has a maintenance/repair issue in the first 3 months?

Is the driver an employee, or an independent subcontractor, and how do you plan to handle employee policies, rules, etc?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it. Have my notice at work for 4 weeks. Then I'll take off the rest of December with family and a vacation before starting the new year of with my own company.

I spent a while on my business plan and got my attorney to set up the incorporation and all my DOT permits and licenses. I set up a business only account and deposited enough to cover 6 months of total operating cost without me taking in a dime. I had to but a semi and trailer earlier than I wanted but it was the right deal and they go quick. I hope to be up and running on the road by middle odd December. Well not me my driver.

I knew all the money I've saved all these years was going to do something good. Hopefully I'll be able put enough money aside in my play account to but a XLR in a year or 2.

Congratations, I am happy for you. Dont know you but I was unhappy from college graduation till 2008 working in ny commercial banks and as you, it was the people, bosses and their motivations. Did you ever detail your experience, is it cadillac dealers? Don't be a stranger i have only been back a short time from a 2 year leave off the board but I can see your expertise will be missed. I am hoping you get the commemorative 2002 so you are stuck here! LOL. Good luck in your new venture

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The Cadillac expertise is kind of a funny thing. The only Cadillac I've worked on are my own. Most of the stuff I know is just general automotive knowledge that applies to how cars work. I've wrenched in dealerships for almost 20 years, majority of my time with Mercedes. Before Mercedes it was with BMW Audi and VW. My area of specialty is on the electronics side especially with CAN networks and modules. The heavy mechanical side is my weakness, but thankfully due to dealer standards is we don't open up engines or transmissions. If it's an internal problem then we replace whole assembly. The biggest thing generally we will do is a head gasket or a front timing cover. Which the timing cover and the counter balance assembly is really a lot of work. Years ago we would rebuild transmissions and such. But now because of cost and warranty comebacks the manufactures don't even offer rebuild parts.

I've bought a few cars really cheap from customers because the cost to replace a 7 speed transmission in a 2001-2009 Mercedes is over $9,000. I'll buy while car for $2,000 range a and get rebuild parts aftermarket or a used transmission and be good to go.

Actually with leaving the dealership I'll have more time to troll the forum and pipe up now and then.

I would love to pick your brain on U codes and what causes them. Glad you will be around and hope you get the 02

Thanks for the insight into the dealership and the way things work

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The worst I've dealt with on CAN network is where a shop installed a pneumatic system for throttle and brake for mobility handicapped. They drilled and screwed the mount right through the twisted pair wires for can communication. Screwed the whole system up. Like open the visor and instead of the light on visor coming on the drivers window would roll down. The can wires are sensitive to a lot. Down to matching how many twist per inch on the wires.

Can systems are nice and save weight and make car more integrated. Like an older car has normally 3 coolant temp sensors, 1 for the gauge, 1 for the engine computer and 1 for the fan. CAN network car has 1 sensor and puts the temperature on the network, if a module needs coolant temp it reads it. If not needed the info just passed down line. So if rain sensing wipers are on the a smart window won't roll all the way down unless you push last the click twice.

Archived