CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is my car missing a screw? (Or am I...?)

MrMagoo

While I was changing the oil the other day, I saw a screw hole on the side of the engine just behind where the oil filter goes. Obviously, neither I nor the car have died yet because of it, but is something supposed to be here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

car2_zpslebq85f6.jpg

It looks like the plate itself has threads of the same size as the two studs through the other two holes. It's possible that this is a bracket for the transmission cooler lines seen passing near the hole.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

At least I know now that it's not related to the oil leak from somewhere around the filter....which I'm positive is not from the filter itself. I will probably take the car to a shop to get this one checked out. *sigh*

Did I already mention the oil pressure switch on this thread? I'm not sure where it is on the 4.9 (a 4.9 expert is your best resource here) but if it is near the filter, it can be whanged during maintenance and they can and do leak oil when damaged.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

1994 service manual does not show a bracket there for the fuel lines. Could be just an extra hole.

post-2-0-97379200-1446149731_thumb.jpg

From FSM for my 4,5 I can see the holes on the left (seen from driver seat) side of both cylinder heads. On the front bank head all 3 holes are used for front engine mount. On rear bank sits a lift bracket in 2 of the holes as seen above. This leads me to believe they are made basically the same for front and rear. (I can see the holes on right side as well)

Northstars have a unique head for each bank. Being a push rod engine...the 4.9 is likely using the same head L or R or front and rear...both go down the same cylinder head assembly line.

So it's a extra hole.

The old iron bow-tie pushrod V8 uses identical heads. This does lead to extra accessory pads in the casting, if not drilled and tapped holes that would make them interchangeable in the assembly area. I suspect that this is the rule more than the exception for pushrod V8 production engines.

OHC V8 engines is another matter, if any allowance for the cam chain is made in the head casting. The Northstar heads enclose the chamber that contains the cam chains and sprockets.

If it is the oil pressure switch (which I wouldn't mind, since it's just a $12 part), I'm assuming if I just unscrew the old one, I'm going to get oil coming out, right? If so, I'll probably wait until I do the next oil change to switch it out.

When that happened to me, I gave it to the filling station and they changed it while the oil filter was out of the way.

If all else fails maybe a trip to a salvage yard. Then if something is missing it can be obtained.

I use a website called row52 there you can see what cars are in stock and what day they came in. Typically newer inventory has more parts left. To search for parts and prices I use car-part. Its just that most yards on car-part don't let you walk yard and remove parts. And row 52 are pick and pull type yards.

As best I can tell looking at a close-up of your uploaded photograph, there is no sign that anything was ever tightened against the steel plate, or that the threads were ever used. You can tell better if you wipe off the metal plate with a shop rag. If there is truly no sign that anything was ever there, I would let it go.

Yeah, I'm not going to worry too much about it. But, I've been thinking about checking some local yards to see if they've got a similar car, just in case I ever need something (a control arm or two might need to be replaced at some point), so if I find one, I'll take a look and see if there's anything there.

I did order a new oil pressure switch, though -- hopefully that will cure that leak up.

Archived