CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

re&re alternator 97 cadillac sts

Start by disconnecting the battery ground cable from the battery before you jack up the car.

From under the car, it's simple. There's not enough room without putting the front of the car on jack stands.

Do you need a writeup or pictures from the FSM?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You will need to jack up the car. There is an access panel near the right side, just behind the radiator. Once that is removed, the alternator can come out - it is not too bad of a job.

I always recommend having the OEM unit rebuilt vs. installing a unit from a chain store.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I always recommend having the OEM unit rebuilt vs. installing a unit from a chain store.

Agreed 100%. The chain stores sometimes only replace what was bad and new bearings. Then paint it and send to stores. They put very little money in a rebuild so lifetime warranty doesn't cost them much to exchange for another one. But we are screwed, broken down with a dead battery. And spending time to do job again.

Luckily there is a shop in town that rebuilds starters and alternators with normally a 3 hour turnaround. And they replace all wear and tear parts.

I've rebuilt alternators in my garage and never had trouble with them afterward. As long as you don't need to turn the armature, you are good doing it all yourself.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I remember rebuilding the late 70's and 80's gm alternators. They where all the same just clocked different. Think I still got paperclips in my toolbox for the brushes .

Archived