CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mark's 99 STS

MARK 99STS

Purchased the car in July 2001 with 36,000 miles just off 2yr executive lease.

Has all options except sunroof and On Star.

Performance mods:

9/01 Corsa cat back exhaust

3/02 Rear spoiler from Sportwing Inc.

6/02 Replaced rotors and pads with Powerstop cross drilled rotors and carbon/ceramic dustless pads.

7/02 80mm TB and ported intake manifold from RSM racing

7/02 K&N cone filter #RU 2590 with home made custom intake(full heat shield and ducted out for fresh air)

1/03 New Michelin Piolot XGTZ4'S 255/50/16 46,200 miles

2/03 Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

8/03 High stall torque converter from Edge racing converters

10/3 Micky Thompson ET Front slicks and 4 aluminum wheels

11/3 Most recent visit to the track 14.1 sec. 1/4 mile. Best to date.

History of repairs and maintenance:

10/01 Replaced bad motor mounts(Warranty)

3/03 4 wheel alignment 46,300

8/03 Drained and filled radiator, added 2 tubes bars leak gold 49,500 miles

11/03 Rotated tires at track 50,200

post-8-1077230292_thumb.jpg

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Howyadoin Mark,

That is one badass Caddy! 14.1 is moving right along. Any 0-60 numbers?

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

That kicks @55 on the 0-60 estimations.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Jim,

The higher stall torque converter was $394 from Edge Racing converters. Installation would have been about $1,000,but I have a guy at the dealer who turned it in as a bad torque converter and it was covered under warranty.(Very lucky) They have to drop the whole powertrain assembly to swap converters.

The exhaust system was $995 installed by Corsa at the plant in Cleveland Ohio.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Great looking STS. Have you ever thought about tinting the windows. I think you car would look even better that way. Just a thought.

burekv,

You must have been reading my mind. I am planning on gettig that done in about 3 weeks. I agree that it will really look great with the color of the car.

Doc,

I'll post some pics tonight of the intake. Have them on the computer at home.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Doc,

Here are pics of my setup. You're not going to believe this but I used a 4" pvc 33 street elbow. I had a muffler shop insert 1" metal sleeves into each end as the heat from the engine softened the pvc so that the clamps slid off. The K&N fits perfect over the big end and I used a piece of rubber plumbing connection to fit over the MAF. Works great now. The piece is exactly the right angle and length as the stock that came off. Drilled a hole with a gromet for the temp. sensor and spray painted it silver. I don't know if a 2000 has the same as my 99 but it must be close.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Mark,

Awesome '99 ! I'm looking forward to taking delivery of mine soon. I'd be very interested in your feedback on both the new brakes and the spoiler. There is no doubt the spoiler really enhances the look, but now that you've had it for awhile are there any issues with the fastening system? Are there any loosening and rubbing issues or is the supplied mounting system secure? Any special requirements to get the paint to match? I was also curious to know if you felt the cost to upgrade the rotors and pads was worth it. I believe the discs were increased in size from the 95 model, but being able to haul her down quickly and straight is just as important to me as seeing those frowning faces in the rear view mirror! Thanks, Rick

Rick,

I have had absolutely no problems with the spoiler. The main part is screwed thru the trunk so it has not moved at all. The wings on each side are attached with strong adhesive tape and they also have not moved. It came painted and the color match was perfect.

Regarding the brakes. I have always felt more secure knowing that the brakes are never going to fade under ANY circumstance. My rotors seemed warped when I got the car so I replaced both pads and rotors. I may have been able to reseat the pads using the method as described on the board and in the service manual and that may have fixed my problem, but I opted for crossdrilled. Personal preference I guess.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

I may have been able to reseat the pads using the method as described on the board and in the service manual and that may have fixed my problem, but I opted for crossdrilled. Personal preference I guess.

I have crossdrilled on the front of mine as well. Excellent mod. I don't regret doing that one a bit. All stops are very straight and true, without any fade or pulsating. It's been that way for well over 40k miles now.

BTW, the brakes were increased in size by about one inch starting with the 1997 model year (from 11.0" to 11.9"). I think they stayed the same size through the 2000s.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

mark,

you think that spoiler would fit on a 97? if not you think they have spoilers for the 97. ive seen one befor but it was 2 big for the car i think. and was your spoiler factory of after market?

Rick,

your rims are they stock? 16" or 17"? with the white walls, they look clean, you think whitwalls would look good with the pearl red STS?

• 3 weeks later...

This1,

The wheels are 16" and the factory optional chrome. I am the wrong person to ask about the red/whitewall combination for two reasons. One, all my work shirts and slacks have geranimals sewn on so I know what goes with what and second, I have always been a big fan of the blackwall/chrome rim combination. My guess is, a set of Vogues probably would look good against the red. I decided to put new Michelins on my '99 and am getting ready to list the Vogues on eBay as they are almost brand new. Guess I should update my signature photo.......

• 6 months later...
What are your trap speed and 60ft times?  What would it take to get a '94 Concours to that level?  I'm new to the Northstars.  I replaced my '78 Eldo with a '94 Concours.

I think my trap speed was 97, but I don't have my time slips with me. Sorry, I can't help you with your Concours other than to open up the intake and exhaust.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

14.1 Thats awsome I would love to have that you could almost keep up with a Dodge Viper LOL wouldn't that be a sight! Nice work!!! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

What do u guys think the 0-60 and the qtr. mile time would be on a stock STS? 93-94 year range?????? ;)

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived