CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Been Awhile. Few questions

rockfangd

Hi all. Loving My Seville for the summer driving Had a few small issues I hope someone can give some insight.

Car is my 1997 Seville

My dash vents are tight and are difficult to move. It is probably because I very rarely touch them. I do not want to break them so I just stopped touching them.

Any ideas on what I can use to free them up without damaging anything?

Also I have the Webasto moonroof that was a dealer add on when the car was new.

Does anyone know much about them?

The limiter is not working. If it is closed and I open up to vent the motor will try to keep opening it.

If it is at vent and I hit the close switch it closes and then opens the moonroof all the way.

In order for me to close it I have to shut the key off when I think it is closed. I have not used it because I dont want it to get stuck open.

It doesnt always malfunction but enough to bug me.

I am pretty certain it is not the switch as I replaced it.

Thanks all. Happy summer

th_100_2780_zpsc62dda06.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I had one of those on my 1997 ETC. The dealer told me that it was the same OEM as the factory sunroof. I left the papers on the sunroof in the car when I sold it; I'm not absolutely certain that the OEM is Webasto. The principal difference is that the factory sunroof changes the overhead console above the rearview mirror by adding the switches and deleting the little compartment for sunglasses, while the dealer-installed sunroof has the switch on the edge of the sunroof. Also, the auto-close when the ignition is turned off is not a feature of the factory sunroof.

What you apparently have is a failure of the switches that are tripped when the sunroof is open, on vent, and closed. I believe that these are all in the assembly with the main switch. I would check all the connectors before I did anything.

You might contact Webasto. I looked on their web site and did not see downloads, but there is a "Contact us" page. They may offer schematics, troubleshooting charts, and parts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It had the sunglass type console that was modified.

I have since replaced the console with the moonroof equipped one with the oem switch. (black 2 way rocker).

The unit also does not close when the key is turned off. I leave it open for days sometimes, as long as it does not rain.

The originally equipped would be called the astroroof, mainly due to its size. It is huge.

My ETC had the astroroof and it was huge.

This looks like it may not be as big.

I might add that I retrofitted to the oem switch awhile back before the issue started ocurring.

GM FAN FOREVER

The switch is actually on a little module that is not on the network. The microprocessor responds to the position switches, and in the case of the aftermarket sunroof, the auto-close is part of its program. It uses three wires: power, ground, and ignition, and the ignition signal tells it to close.

If you have an factory sunroof switch and a Webasto sunroof, things may or may not work as intended.

The 1997 FSM, section 8A-122, is titled "Power Sunroof." There is no distinction between models, and the manual covers Eldorado, Seville, and Deville.

Power is only from retained accessory power through the electric windows circuit breaker. The switch hooks to the module, as does the Sunroof Actuator Assembly, and a ground. The actuator assembly may or may not be the same, and here is where the problem probably lies. If you retained the Webasto Sunroof Control Module, you simply have an electrical problem or a problem with the actuator assembly.

Because it's simple and requires no parts, I would check the power and ground first. The power comes in through a PNK wire and the ground is through a BLK wire.

Wires between the module and the actuator assembly are:

LT GRN Motor reverse voltage

DK GRN Motor forward voltage, through a circuit breaker that resets itself after it cools off.

RED Limit switch voltage.

YEL Limit switch ground

The sunroof actuator assembly is shown as containing the motor, a cam-operated limit switch that tells the motor when the sunroof is not in flush closed position (closed when sunroof is sealed, open when sunroof is not sealed).

There is a dotted line in the schematic over to the motor. This represents the microprocessor that controls the motor. There is no network line (PPL wire) in the schematic.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Mine only works in the ignition on position, wont work in accessory or anything else.

It was working great with the oem switch. I had no issues until this year really.

I will post the switch that I had and the one that I now have to show the difference.

From what it seems I will have to pull the console down and see if there is a loose plug or something.

It seems the switch just gets it going in one direction or the other

Then the position switch cuts it at one of 3 positions.

GM FAN FOREVER

here is the one it had. The console was all hacked up (it was a sunglass compartment type )

th_100_2229.jpg

here is the new one I installed console and all (for astroroof equipped)

th_0527111659-1.jpg

both switches worked in the same exact way, just had different plugs

GM FAN FOREVER

Yes, the switch is apparently the same. The problem is probably in the connector between the actuator and the module, or the equivalent in the Webasto. I would contact Webasto for service information.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived