CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

First drives: 2016 CTS-V

R&T instrumented tests: Despite weighing more than two tons, the 640 hp brute charged to 60 in 3.5 seconds, managed nearly 1g on the skidpad, and hauled itself down from 80 mph in 191 feet with minimal brake fade.

http://www.roadandtr...d-test-results/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/2015-cadillac-cts-v-review

Autocar.co.uk:

If numbers are your thing, the CTS-V beats a BMW M5 and Mercedes-AMG E63 in both power output and top speed. It'll accelerate from a standstill to 62mph in less time, too. That said, while being bigger and brasher is fine, the CTS-V can't match the handling precision of its German competition.

To many, though, it’ll be that unmistakable American style that makes the CTS-V appealing. It has the presence of a body builder in a tailored suit and has the performance to match its looks.

Bruce

"Handling precision" is a subjective term. Lap-time comparisons are coming. Another road test, from Autoweek:

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/2016-cadillac-cts-v-drive-review

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

WSJ: http://www.wsj.com/articles/cadillac-cts-v-the-worlds-least-sedate-sedan-1438359803

The Cadillac CTS-V is big and impressive—a high-performance variant of the CTS sedan. It’s not a perfect car, finds Dan Neil, but give it some room to run and it unleashes real power

Bruce

France's Guide Autoweb: http://www.guideautoweb.com/articles/34841/cadillac-cts-v-2016-l%27assaut-americain/

GOOGLE TRANSLATED:

One must ask why people want to Cadillac in both against the Germans. Not the German people, of course, but their automakers. The CTS-V 2016 is the second attack targeted Cadillac vis-à-vis the high performance sports sedans of the Bavarians, after the launch of the ATS-V we drove earlier this year.

The data sheet alone should make you shudder owners BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E 63 AMG S-Model. Its engine produces 640 horsepower and 630 foot-pounds, or 80 additional standards in relation to the M5 and 63 more than the E 63 S. According to the manufacturer, the car can reach a top speed of 320 km / h, or by applying the exchange rate US citizen, 200 miles an hour, yes, you read correctly. This is the Cadillac of the most powerful and the fastest available to the public during its 112 years of existence.

We were able to put the car through its paces on the track at Road America in Elkhart Lake in Wisconsin, one of the fastest circuits in North America. We discovered that Cadillac has not oversold the car with his breathtaking performance claims.

A performance tradition
When Cadillac introduced the CTS-V on the market in 2004, the company decided to take a new direction. In terms of performance and handling, the car offered new highs for the American luxury brand, and began to turn the heads of younger drivers. Since then she has assembled an entire legion of disciples performance-oriented.

This third generation of the CTS continues this trend, and offers a level of performance which places it in the highest echelons of luxury sport sedans.

As mentioned earlier, its supercharged 6.2-liter V8, dubbed LT4, is the most powerful Cadillac offered by far. The CTS-V can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph (0-96 km / h) in 3.7 seconds. Because it is heavier, its acceleration time is only second faster than the ATS-V. Despite all the power, the engine requires 14.1 L / 100km fuel in mixed driving. You can consume as little of 11.1 L / 100km with a cylinder deactivation system, allowing it to use only four cylinders when driving relaxes on the highway.

One gearbox is offered, the eight-speed automatic 8L90. When using the paddles in manual mode, this box can change its reporting 100 to 200 milliseconds. This is the same box that can be found in the automatic ATS-V, but has been rescheduled for his work in the CTS-V.

Designed for driving aggressively ...
Although its chassis is based on the platform of the CTS, significant changes were made to increase stiffness and improve handling.

The front suspension has been improved ball joints joints and stronger suspension arms, as well as springs and a stabilizer bar stiffer, reducing the roll 20 percent cash. There are also elements to strengthen the chassis as a strut to strut turret, a V-shaped brace in the engine compartment, a partition bottom of reinforced body, an aluminum panel attached to the frame beneath the engine and upper spacers coupling to bumper bar. All this helps to improve the structural rigidity by 25%.

At the rear, a limited slip differential, electronically controlled routes power to the wheel with the best grip, improving the behavior in bends. Asymmetrical half-shafts eliminate power surges during acceleration.

Provides Brembo brake components, with massive six-piston calipers and 390mm floating discs at the front, while at the rear, there are solid discs of 365 mm. Cadillac has emphasized the braking system, saying it was designed to withstand the rigors of driving on track standard. An owner will be no need to invest more to equip the CTS-V brakes "race", contrary to the German brands. The Cadillac is ready to take the track right out of the showroom.

Entitled Magnetic Ride, magnetic suspension is firm, and adjustable through four driving modes: Tour (tourism), Sport, Track (track) and Snow (snow). These modes also adjust the sensitivity of the throttle, shift points of the automatic transmission reports, the power delivery and the sound of the exhaust.

The new, inside and out
The V has a more aggressive face the CTS, with two mouths vent to accommodate the radiators of the engine and the gearbox. The vented hood is made of lightweight carbon fiber. Optionally, one can choose a set of carbon fiber comprising an air outlet in the cover, a front splitter, a rear spoiler and a rear air diffuser, all designed with light material. The wheels 19 inches in diameter are surrounded by Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (265 / 35ZR19 front, 295 / 30ZR19 rear) providing adhesion required to generate almost 1 g of lateral force in curves.

The cockpit offers a nice layout of luxury and performance. Our cars tested were equipped with Recaro seats option to 18 power adjustments, with deep seated and adjusted to caress firmly and prevent us from moving in turns.

Series, CTS-V includes a performance data recorder operated by a global positioning system (GPS), which captures both data track and high definition video. This device is adjusted using the screen CUE infotainment system that provides tactile feedback when pressing display buttons. Unfortunately, at least for me, the CUE interface is a bit temperamental, sometimes requiring several attempts before nodding our selections.

The pedal to the floor
The CTS-V has a turbocharged V8 free, meaning it should normally provide an attractive sound. This is the case when starting with the rich roar worthy of a V8, but once off, it's surprisingly docile for such a powerful engine. German V8 are noisy, as to be annoying for some people (not me!). In remote and high speed, the Cadillac sounds like a jet fighter instead of a NASCAR race car.

The engine speaks with a raw and relentless force, what was testified especially along the straight portion of 1.3 km from Road America circuit, including a relatively steep uphill grade. The CTS-V has climbed this hill with rage, posting a speed of 248 km / h (154 mph) on the recorder before I approached the huge Brembo brakes, slowing the car in time to negotiate 1 turn 90 degrees and 110 km / h.

Like the promises people Cadillac, the brakes have been designed for this type of abuse, as they have done many hard braking, from very high speeds, while showing only a slight fainting to the pedal. The ATS-V I drove a few months earlier procured a better feeling under braking, but there is a lighter car than the CTS-V, the latter displaying a weight of 1 880 kg.

Despite its weight, it has kept a frenzied pace on the track, with remarkable aplomb in Track mode, negotiating curves and accelerating vigorously. You could feel a bit of understeer in the long carousel to the right and his constant radius arc that stretches over more than 180 degrees. The understeer was very easy to master maintaining a stable pressure on the accelerator all along the curve.

The steering feel by attacking corners proves to be as communicative as that of the ATS-V smaller and more agile, but body roll is minimal and it does not feel any twisting of the chassis.

In conclusion
The Cadillac CTS-V 2016 has demonstrated speed and agility beyond expectations. Roadholding rivals that of its major European rivals. On the road, it is not as cozy or silent as her sister, the CTS. The latter, I could drive the day I arrived at media launch of the CTS-V, has a quieter cabin, with a lower noise tires.

If you are looking for a soft and cozy driving, go for the CTS. If you want to stimulate your senses, or rather give them a shock treatment, prefer the CTS-V. It has about 80 percent the comfort and silence of the CTS, but 230 percent of performance.

As to the German competition, the CTS-V will probably sweat a little. Its interior is not as well detailed than some rivals, but the CTS-V is the only car in its class to slip below the hundred thousand dollars, with an MSRP of $ 91,685. This gives a lot of performance for the price.

It sets the bar higher, at least in terms of pure performance, and will continue to attract younger buyers (for Cadillac standards, at least) and maybe even those who have always preferred European performance sedans.

No, not oversold Cadillac CTS-V 2016, but I suspect that it will sell quickly at dealerships.

Bruce

autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/31/2016-cadillac-cts-v-first-drive/#slide-3563291

Cadillac's V-squad of engineers seem more good than lucky. They've screwed together a rocketship sedan that ought to make big gains in its posh segment. All things being equal (they aren't, but it's a nice thought) the CTS-V deserves to sell in better numbers than ever before. Just scrape the bugs off.

Bruce

car & driver: http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-cadillac-cts-v-test-review

Highs, Lows, and Verdict Highs:

Incredible power, poise, and performance.

Lows:

Steering is light on feedback, door makes an uncomfortable knee brace.

Verdict:

A very scary sedan, but only if you happen to be employed by Mercedes-AMG, BMW’s M division, or Audi’s Quattro GmbH.

Bruce

Compare C&D $83K CTS-V to US$60K Dodge Challenger Hellcat:

CTS-V:

Power: 640 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 630 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm

Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 13.6 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.8 sec

Curb weight: 4129 lb

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.98 g

Hellcat:

Power: 707 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 650 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.6 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 12.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.0 sec

Curb weight: 4488 lb

300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

Makes it appear the CTS-V needs more power, or like the Hellcat would sell out at US$60K

Bruce

Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/2016-cadillac-cts-v-a-glorious-640-hp-exercise-in-over-1721258796

So, overall, this is an absurdly capable track machine. People who buy this and never take it on a track are trading saving money on tires for missing out on what makes this car really special. It’s so far overkill from what 99% of its buyers will use it for that I’m back to being confused like I was in all those paragraphs at the start.

1365189704961059108.jpg

Bruce

Archived