CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

​While sitting at a light, my irritating ses light came on, now what! I ran the codes and p0420 came up. After researching the code it came to the catalytic converter, fuel mixtures and air out of whack. I have noticed lately I've been burning an awful lot of fuel, however, my indicator says I'm getting 17.3 in the city, but my pocket says different. All 3 O2 sensors are new oem brand and no codes exist for such fault in my system. I did noticed that the air pump in the front on the left behind the bumper seems to be falling apart (Brittle) may need to be changed. Could this be a concern that could cause this code? I seem to have a funky exhaust smell from time to time and maybe that's a warning sign that lead to this code. Any help would be appreciated! :wipetears

When the car is open loop, the secondary air injection pump supplies the cat with a burst of fresh air that lites up the cat. If the downstream (after cat) o2 sensor does not detect a change in the downstrean o2 sensor waveform when the air pump is running, it trips a trouble code. I have heard of some different variations of the p0420 coming on even in closed loop due to a faulty air pump.

Unfortunately, a partially plugged up cat can cause a p0420, and it can also force exhaust gases back thru the second air injection plumbing if there is enough pressure - and that can be the funky exhaust smell. It can also start melting it as well.

If you installed Bosch O2 sensors...and now you have the catalyst code...my money is on the Bosch O2 sensors causing the false code.

I have seen this exact problem before. Same code.

Others too.....

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic2544.html

The Bosch simply work different enough...where it causes false catayst codes on GM.

If you installed Bosch O2 sensors...and now you have the catalyst code...my money is on the Bosch O2 sensors causing the false code.

I have seen this exact problem before. Same code.

Others too.....

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic2544.html

The Bosch simply work different enough...where it causes false catayst codes on GM.

I think the secondary air injection pump needs replacing, however, I will be replacing all Bosch 02 sensors this week. I've been running premium fuel for a while, any harm in doing this?

Archived