CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac ATS-V Plus to feature 7L LS-7 V8

That engine, which is hand-built at GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant, produces 505 hp and 481 lb-ft of torque in the fifth-generation Camaro Z/28. Even if the LS7 receives no updates before serving in the ATS-V+, it would still be more powerful than the standard ATS-V's 464-hp, 445-lb-ft twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6. It would also be lighter.

The Idea of the ATS-V+ is to offer an even more extreme version in parallel to the ATS-V.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

At 7 liters and 505 hp, it's only 72 hp/liter, which is conservative tuning for a normally aspirated engine, and less than some 1960's small block Chevrolet 327's and 350's, including the one I drove in an Impala station wagon for almost five years. The 1990's Northstar was 60/65 hp/liter for VIN Y/9 engines, and the breathing of the LS/LT engines is competitive with that of 4-valve engines, based on the published horsepower of the various versions.

Interesting that a pushrod V8 is lighter than a twin-turbocharged 24-valve DOHC V6. How much lighter?

I think I might like to drive a 7 liter V8 with VVT and variable displacement. This has great potential for great EPA mileage numbers to go with your seven-liter-lunge.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Even though the LS7 is a 427 cu in (monster) it still still uses the small-block Chevy block so weight is kept down (somewhat); this engine was used in the previous gen Corvette (ZO6), will probably be offered in the new gen Camaro (that now uses the ATS platform), so logical progression seems to point, that Cadillac wanted it too.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I would call it the ATS-V 427 instead of ATS-V+ I think, or even simply ATS-V8. An old Cadillac name like ATS-V Sixty Special would tickle me but not the current Mgmt

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I just realized, this is the LS7, not the LT7, so it won't have VVT or variable displacement. The LS7 is a unique engine, used only in the Corvette Z06, Holden W427 (only 137 plus the prototype were built), and as a crate engine. I suppose that the gas mileage isn't important.

My 1966 427 Corvette got very good gas mileage considering that keeping traction in 4th gear (out of 4) was a challenge, even in a straight line at moderate speeds. I once towed an MG-A from North Carolina to Texas with it and got 19 mpg for the trip, and averaged over 60 mph including stops for gas, food, and sleep.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived