CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need A Little Help on my '02 DeVille

You should still be able to follow the miss shouldn't you? Gdadscad, had #2 & #8. His mechanic should be able to check where the miss is again. If it changed banks then you know that coil pack is bad.

You should still be able to follow the miss shouldn't you? Gdadscad, had #2 & #8. His mechanic should be able to check where the miss is again. If it changed banks then you know that coil pack is bad.

Yes - as long as the scan tool has a misfire count graph option.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks guys,

Airmike, I misunderstood your post. You are quite correct as well as KHE. The mechanic does have such a scanner which is how I got the info on the 2 & 8 cylinders. It's just he's 2 towns away.

I'll try another coil pack from another car. If the problem still exists we'll talk again.

My premise is, there should be a way to bench test the coil packs out of the car. If not why not?

I would think a bench test should be possible, however thats not something I can help you with. Just make sure the different coil pack you try is "known" good, vs assumed good. I have been down that path before, and wasn't enjoyable, and felt like an idiot afterward too.

the packs I'm getting are salvage yard units so no guarantees (the car ran when it came in). But for $25.00 I can afford to roll the dice a few times.

Also, does anyone have a line on a wiring diagram/scematic on these N-stars?

Thanks guys,

Airmike, I misunderstood your post. You are quite correct as well as KHE. The mechanic does have such a scanner which is how I got the info on the 2 & 8 cylinders. It's just he's 2 towns away.

I'll try another coil pack from another car. If the problem still exists we'll talk again.

My premise is, there should be a way to bench test the coil packs out of the car. If not why not?

Have you tried looking on Ebay for a coil pack? You can normally find new items very cheap, just stay away from salvage cars because of the unknown. I found that some parts cant be substituted as they effect another part. I'm surprised that the dealer didn't key in on the bad coils when they changed your rear plugs seeing your SES light was on and flashing. I've been down the same road with the same problems! I have a coil pack in the garage that I can't use and you are welcome to it if you like. Send me your part number and I'll match them up.

I hope you get that taken care of, and the salvage coil works, that would be awesome. I just want to caution you ahead of time about using a part that you don't KNOW is a good part. If you change it and it takes care of you miss you are golden. If you change it and its no better than before, you don't KNOW any more than you did when you started. I did that before and assumed the new part (not even used) worked, and started looking other places for my problem. I never could find a different problem and actually messed around with it so long the warranty ran out. A friend talked me into changing that "new" part out for a used one and it fixed it. Gdadscad, you may well already know all this, in which case I apologize, but the info may help someone else that reads this. I didn't understand that concept when I was young, and that is why even a dealership will keep known good parts around to test things. Good luck and report back when you get it fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I wanted to get back & finish out the thread.

I got the coil pack from the salvage yard & installed it. No improvement. I ordered a new coil pack & 4 rubber tubes from Rock Auto. Installed the new parts & all codes cleared and the car runs like a dream for the first time in months.

Just a quick word on Rock Auto. When the coil pack arrived it was missing the center (grounding?) spring. After 1 quick email to Rock I was given a return form to send the part back on their dime & a new one was sent at once. No hassle, no questions. That's good business.

Anyway, my girls fixed. I'll drive her for a while & then put her up for sale.

Thanks to all for your help and patience.

Cadillac Al

Hey guys,

I wanted to get back & finish out the thread.

I got the coil pack from the salvage yard & installed it. No improvement. I ordered a new coil pack & 4 rubber tubes from Rock Auto. Installed the new parts & all codes cleared and the car runs like a dream for the first time in months.

Just a quick word on Rock Auto. When the coil pack arrived it was missing the center (grounding?) spring. After 1 quick email to Rock I was given a return form to send the part back on their dime & a new one was sent at once. No hassle, no questions. That's good business.

Anyway, my girls fixed. I'll drive her for a while & then put her up for sale.

Thanks to all for your help and patience.

Cadillac Al

Outstanding....Good job and I know how you are feeling after this long draining process. You saved yourself a ton of money! :work22:

Archived