CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SVC STABILITY SYST

voicepro

...here's on for Texas Jim.

...just had the rear shocks and the front struts replaced on my '98 Deville. Was still hearing some clunking over potholes and rough spots, so I went back to

the front end shop. Turns out the tie rod ends were loose. Okay...took care of that. No big deal.

...but the system is throwing a SVC SYSPENSION SYSTM at me...and doggoned if I know what to look at next.

...it also lights the Anti-lock Braking and Steering icons on the dash display.

...got me puzzled...but I'd sure like to correct whatever it is.

...thanks. Still enjoy driving this fine old machine...less than 200,00o on it, has everything I could ask for in a fine automobile and still looks good.

...here's on for Texas Jim.

...just had the rear shocks and the front struts replaced on my '98 Deville. Was still hearing some clunking over potholes and rough spots, so I went back to

the front end shop. Turns out the tie rod ends were loose. Okay...took care of that. No big deal.

...but the system is throwing a SVC SYSPENSION SYSTM at me...and doggoned if I know what to look at next.

...it also lights the Anti-lock Braking and Steering icons on the dash display.

...got me puzzled...but I'd sure like to correct whatever it is.

...thanks. Still enjoy driving this fine old machine...less than 200,00o on it, has everything I could ask for in a fine automobile and still looks good.

Pull the codes, write them down and post them here.

My first guess, assuming that there were no errors and no warning lights before the tie rod replacements... they might have accidentally unplugged one of the sensors to one of the front struts.

One other connection to check is the EBTCM plug...

Posted Image

The OBD codes will tell the tale. It could be a wheel speed sensor or a ride height sensor too.

You should look at your stabilizer links and bushings, too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

...okay...here are the codes. First, note that the Anti-lock braking and Stablity icons light up on the dash.

Codes: PCM PO603 HIST

PCM PO741 CURRENT

IPC B1552 HIST

IPC 2710 HIST

TCS 1228 HIST

RFA B3108 HIST

...and during the recent ice and cold spell, I had the Anti-theft light come on a couple of time, warning me

that the car might not start again. I had to wait the required three minutes a couple of times, but I haven't

seen that warning since the weather warmed up.

...but having just dropped a chunk on new suspension all around, I'm fretting over having these icons

lighting up. Just don't know what to look for at this point.

...many thanks, O Guru Of The Machine.

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
P0741 TCC System Stuck Off CURRENT
B1552 Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B2710 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet
C1228 Right Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
B3108 Transmitter Synchronization Failure

Meanings:

P0603, B1552: your battery was disconnected recently.

P0741 CURRENT: Your TCC isn't working. No big deal but your transmission doesn't go to lockup when cruising, which will lower your gas mileage a bit on the road.

B2710: The electrical contacts in the pellet in your key aren't working as well as they should. You should consider a new key.

C1228: This *may* be the code for the problem that's causing your dash lights to come on. It can be caused by a bad connection to the wheel speed sensor on the right rear wheel, low air on that wheel, or excessive vibration from a wheel that needs balancing.

B3108: You may need to re-synchronize your fob to get it to work properly. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release. If the transmitter was out of synchronization, it will now function properly.

I'm a bit puzzled because I was expecting to see a code for a wheel speed sensor or height sensor on the front.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

...all good info, Jim. Thanks. I'll check out each item and see if I can resolve this pesky issue. Knew about the TCC, by the way. As you say, no big deal. One day I'll get it taken care of.

The first thing to do is to make sure that the right rear wheel speed sensor is plugged in and the plug is clean and tight, and that the wires to it are OK. If that seems good, you might check the air and see if the tire is OK. Wheel balance is something that can fix this code, so if the car is less than silky smooth at highway speed on smooth pavement, wheel balancing may be a good idea.

At any time, you can reset the codes and see what comes back. If the dash lights come on, run the codes before you turn off the key and maybe we can catch a suspension code like C1228 CURRENT.

Archived