CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SRX auto dim mirror SAFETY ISSUE

Good evening. I have a safety concern in regards to the wife's SRX. We can't turn off the auto dim rear and side view mirrors. Neither my wife or myself can adequately see out of the mirrors at night, which has my wife unable to drive the car after dark. I have been brushed aside by Cadillac Customer Care so I turn to the forum for help. There HAS to be a way to turn this off! Can the BCM be reflashed, a fuse or wire pulled, anything? If I can't fix this safety issue I will be forced to dump this car and choose a safer product. Customer Care was not concerned with my family safety whatsoever. Forget the fact that I will never shop GM again and will look to dump my 4 late model cars asap. I can hardly see out of the mirrors myself and when headlights are behind me I see nothing but lights. I have already asked 3 friends to try and see for themselves. They all agree that this is not a feature but a legitimate safety concern. Please help. I would rather keep my cars but I simply can't risk this.

when headlights are behind me I see nothing but lights.

It sounds like the auto-dim feature is not working and you're getting glare from the lights.

Have you visited a dealership vs. calling customer service on the phone?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I can understand your problem. I think there was a change in the chemical on the newer auto dimming setups. When you have a car coming up behind you the mirror looks black other than the headlights of the vehicle.

There was a way on older vehicles to disable the feature. You would supply ground to the wire that comes from the reverse signal, but on these newer BCM setups I am kind of lost.

I cannot imagine that you would not be able to disable the feature.

I assume you probably have but I have to ask, Have you looked in the owners manual?

Also not knowing the year of your caddy I dont know what setup for mirrors it has.

And as for the dealer care I feel you.

I know of more people than I care to mention that feel the same way.

Can you post more info on your car. I would be more than happy to look into it for you.

Also would love to see some pics of your 97 Seville.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks for the replies. Yes I searched the owners manual. I do believe that countless folks are upset by this. Cadillac Customer Doesn't Care is a worthless entity. When I told them I was no longer a GM customer they could care less. Since I bought it used they treat me like dirt. The car is a 2012 SRX. I sold the STS years ago when I bought my Vette, I am sure there has to be a way to disable this dangerous safety feature. Customer care was not concerned with my safety whatsoever. Hope someone here is.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I searched the owners manual. I do believe that countless folks are upset by this. Cadillac Customer Doesn't Care is a worthless entity. When I told them I was no longer a GM customer they could care less. Since I bought it used they treat me like dirt. The car is a 2012 SRX. I sold the STS years ago when I bought my Vette, I am sure there has to be a way to disable this dangerous safety feature. Customer care was not concerned with my safety whatsoever. Hope someone here is.

What is the issue - is the mirror not dimming or is it dimming too much?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The feature makes it hard to see at night. I simply want to turn it off. GM is ignoring me. Once they sell a car they wash their hands of the liability.

I can't imaging the increased glare from headlights would make it easier to see out the mirror but it should be able to be turned off. Removing the mirror glass, unplugging the element, taping the power connectors and reinstalling the mirror glass would be one method.

Have you taken the car to the dealer or are you just calling the customer service on the phone? If it is the latter, I think you will have better results by taking the car to the dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived