CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CCC Head Studs not available anymore?

Anyone have the inside story on what's going on over at CCC and their head studs? Per their website & Facebook page, it appears they are not selling the dual diameter head studs anymore and going with a new 3 pc stud system that apparently allows you to install the studs AFTER the head has been installed. Sounds like they are going with something like a Norms insert with an ARP single diameter stud and nut.

Tim is doing good business repairing Northstars. I see the info you are referring to but I am not clear what the new product line is yet, so hopefully Tim will chime in.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

In doing some more reading it sounds like he's going to do the same thing as the CHRFab guys are doing, which according to their website is Time-certs with ARP studs and nuts. Maybe he is going to make his own studs again to go with the Time-certs because ARP studs are expensive. I guess we'll just have to wait until he updates his website.

Here we go again.... Now what new hot product to fix the head gasket issue on the Cadillac Northstar. Will there ever be a fix ......... the drama. I had a customer drop his 97 Seville SLS yesterday for a window repair that I fixed the head gaskets in 09' with timeserts. Now, with over 175K added since my repair in 09' still going strong with timeserts.

Here we go again.... Now what new hot product to fix the head gasket issue on the Cadillac Northstar. Will there ever be a fix ......... the drama. I had a customer drop his 97 Seville SLS yesterday for a window repair that I fixed the head gaskets in 09' with timeserts. Now, with over 175K added since my repair in 09' still going strong with time.

barczy01, I have a question for you. My buddy stopped by a month or so ago and we got to discussing our sts's. He had his timeserted about 1 or 1 1/2 years ago and is having failure again. He asked if I wanted to redo his car and my response was not not but you know. What is the likely cause of his failure? When I did mine I used studs because of the stories like his. Of course now I hear stories about studs causing cracks etc.. but so far mine is ok. I am sure there is a wrong and right way that causes these failures, or lack of knowledge along the line. Is the problem not noticing the aluminum condition when drilling? I wouldn't want to have to redo one if I were to do this again. Its just not feasible for every one to send their car to you and there seems to be a lot of "that guy doesn't do good work" going around the northstar repair on the web. My buddy does do many repairs of his own stuff but was busy at the time he hired his done. Perhaps he would do the next repair, if he was sure it would be a good quality repair vs what he just got. The car is very nice 99 but surely not worth the cost to ship and pay for repair. Any help appreciated. We are just a couple guys that don't like to hire work out often.

Thanks for any advice.

When I did mine I used studs because of the stories like his. Of course now I hear stories about studs causing cracks etc.. but so far mine is ok.

I also used studs (both Head and Main Bearing studs) for my 2001 Deville rebuild and I hear these references about studs causing cracked blocks but I have yet to find anything in writing that confirms this.

Does anyone have a link they could provide to any factual claim or even a theory as to why studs can cracks a N* block?

samert - I have seen no evidence or pictures of studs cracking blocks. I have seen my fair share of cracked blocks but there are still rather rare with the amount of these cars that were produced. Jake posted a youtube clip of a 2001 block where some head bolts were holding torque and some were stripped causing stress on the block therefore cracking along the cylinders near the cranksensors or on the backside. In the past 6 months, I have encountered cracked 2 cracked 2002 blocks along the webbing near the cranksensors and all 20 head bolts cracked loose all had torque. But, on both of these cars Deville's the motor mounts were trashed really bad. So, could driving with a bad motor mount for an extended period of time (years) cause stress on the block and help the cracking start more pronounced with a bad casting flaw? Who knows and we may never know.

Airmike, sorry about the failed headgasket job. At least the block is salvageable with NS300L inserts.

I won't follow the traditional torque method 30lb and (3) 60 degree turns. It's nuts! I have made my own method and it's been great for 21 years so far. I was in the dealer when these cars were brand new and installing timeserts and watching them pull on the last turn. They can't handle the torque, exactly. So, don't force it and that's all i am gonna say. Call me anytime if you wanna discuss. I am here to help.

Anyone have the inside story on what's going on over at CCC and their head studs? Per their website & Facebook page, it appears they are not selling the dual diameter head studs anymore and going with a new 3 pc stud system that apparently allows you to install the studs AFTER the head has been installed. Sounds like they are going with something like a Norms insert with an ARP single diameter stud and nut.

I don't think that Tim/CCC ever sold a dual diameter head stud. I believe when Tim mentions that, he is actually referring to one of his competitors products.

Disclosure: CCC is currently doing a complete overhaul, block studding, and modifications to my Caddy.

I don't think that Tim/CCC ever sold a dual diameter head stud. I believe when Tim mentions that, he is actually referring to one of his competitors products.

Disclosure: CCC is currently doing a complete overhaul, block studding, and modifications to my Caddy.

Really??? Have you ever seen his website? He talks about his Dual Diameter head studs all over his website, even has pictures of them and videos of how they make them.

http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/HeadStudSpecs.aspx

Really??? Have you ever seen his website? He talks about his Dual Diameter head studs all over his website, even has pictures of them and videos of how they make them.

I just don't think that you're correct in your assertions. Why would Tim/CCC state on this page that the dual diameter stud, "was a bad design and not intended for the Northstar engine"? This would seem to open him up to all kinds of liability.: http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/BlockStudding.aspx .

I've always understood that the dual diameter headstud was a creation of a totally different company to CCC.

I just don't think that you're correct in your assertions. Why would Tim/CCC state on this page that the dual diameter stud, "was a bad design and not intended for the Northstar engine"? This would seem to open him up to all kinds of liability.: http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/BlockStudding.aspx .

I've always understood that the dual diameter headstud was a creation of a totally different company to CCC.

Trust me Tim has been selling a dual diameter stud for some time now. Watch the following YouTube video from April 2014 of his machine shop making the studs. Fast forward to 7:35 of the video and his machine shop guy is holding a stud he just made.

Why would Tim/CCC state on this page that the dual diameter stud, "was a bad design and not intended for the Northstar engine"? This would seem to open him up to all kinds of liability.: http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/BlockStudding.aspx .

Well.... I suspect it may have something to do with the online feud he's been having with the owner of that other company you are referring to.

I don't know. Like you said in post #3, I guess we'll have to wait until he updates his website. Even if CCC's head studs are technically dual diameter, I don't think they've called them that or marketed them that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted today on the CCC website. An insert set deep in the block and a stud. Not sure how this 2 pc design is much if any different than the 1 pc dual diameter stud they were using. The block still needs to be drilled oversize for the insert. Not sure of the thread diameter or pitch but it looks like a finer thread than the 5/8 - 11 thread on the studs. They are saying that the dual diameter studs were causing blocks to crack.

11081409_798563290193400_421853128949714

Whats the thread pitch on the inserts?

They don't have any specifications on the CCC website. It looks finer than the 5/8-11 thread they used on the old stud.

• 5 months later...

Well it looks like CCC is going back into the "Dual Diameter" head stud business according to his website recently.

Seems like he was just bashing them that they should never have been used for the N*. ??????

Well it looks like CCC is going back into the "Dual Diameter" head stud business according to his website recently.

Seems like he was just bashing them that they should never have been used for the N*. ??????

@Samert: I hear ya now. lol @ me. I have to withdraw my support seeing as how the whole Tim Carroll/Carroll Custom Cadillac thing is a huge hoax:

http://www.victimsoftimcarroll.blogspot.com/

@Samert: I hear ya now. lol @ me. I have to withdraw my support seeing as how the whole Tim Carroll/Carroll Custom Cadillac thing is a huge hoax:

http://www.victimsoftimcarroll.blogspot.com/

Yeah I've been following your blog and it's some interesting reading. I tried to find the history on his FB page once he put it back up but so much has been changed or altered. It seemed to be going good on your project but I couldn't find where the problems started.

Archived