CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'04 Deville License Plate Bulb Removal

Good afternoon!

I am having quite a time finding out what is involved with removing the license plate bulbs on an '04 base Deville. I cannot seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. Some say small flat blade on the edge of the light, and pop them out. I cannot find a recess or anywhere for the flat blade to fit into. I have read to remove the inside trunk cover, and go in from there. Can someone tell me if I can get the bulbs out without removing the inside trunk cover? The owners manual does not seem to even list what bulb is required.

Thanks!

Ohio Jim

If I remember correctly, open the trunk, push on the right side of the license plate light assembly and it will release. No need to remove the inside trunk liner. I think the bulb is a 168 but am not positive.

To install, insert the left side of the lamp first and then press it until the locking tab engages.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE,

Thanks! I worked at it and figured it out with your help. Used a butter knife. Once you see what the assembly looks like inside, it makes sense how to remove it. The 168 bulbs will not work it has to be a PC168 I was able to find them at Napa, for $1:35 apiece! They are made with the base, and the bulb will not come out without breaking the glass. There is a note on the unit to not replace the bulb, but rather the assembly. I have them and will install when I get home tonight, at 5am! It should be a balmy 2 degrees F. lol

I appreciate your words!

Ohio Jim

PC168 - I forgot the "PC". It's been a few years since I replaced one of those bulbs. Not sure why they chose a PC168 instead of a plain old 194 bulb but there must be a reason. I was tempted to put in a 194 bulb since I have many of them but the brightness is not the same and I didn't want to remove the other light so I just bought a PC168 and installed it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived