CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1st gen 04 -09 SRX rear leak

grucaddy

th_2010_SRX_Sunroof_Front_Drain.png

This is for a 2010.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Does your SRX have a sunroof? It's possible one of the drain tubes is disconnected? If it doesn't have a sunroof, you might need to remove the headliner and have someone spray water on the roof and sides while you watch the inside for the source of the water intrusion.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Does your SRX have a sunroof? It's possible one of the drain tubes is disconnected? If it doesn't have a sunroof, you might need to remove the headliner and have someone spray water on the roof and sides while you watch the inside for the source of the water intrusion.

Yes, it does have a sun roof. How do I find out if a drain line is disconnected?

I think you will need to remove some interior trim to view the lines - maybe Cadillac Jim can post some images from the 2004 shop manual that detail how to remove the interior panels without damaging them.

You could open the sunroof and squirt water down each of the rear drain tubes and note when you have leakage but that would get the trim wet again.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I recommend NOT blowing air into the hole to clear it. You will end up removing the headliner to re-attach the tube. Don't ask how I know :(

yeah well, wasn't going to try that. I have talked to a local Caddy dealer n was told the best way to fix it was to remove the headliner. Said they would do it for me for $250. labor.

Talk to http://www.waterdoctors.com/, said he would check it out for $300. Said it might be the gasket around the lift gate, or plugged drain line.

If it is a plugged drain line, you can use a piece of weed whacker line and feed it through the drain tubes to unplug the tube(s). My thought is that if a drain tube was plugged, the water intrusion would be near the sunroof. Based on your description, the source of the leak has to be by the hatch - either a disconnected drain tube or a bad weatherstrip.

$250.00 seems pretty high to me to remove a headliner to look for a water leak. My guess is that they woudn't completely remove it - just lower it enough to have someone look for the leak while someone sprays the roof with water.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I recommend sticking to it and making this a DIY project. If you decide to have it done, you might ask a detailing shop or a body shop that does interior work to look at it; they may have a far better price than a dealer because their mechanics aren't factory trained and certified, and you aren't paying for a Goodwrench warranty that really isn't there for this kind of thing.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I recommend sticking to it and making this a DIY project. If you decide to have it done, you might ask a detailing shop or a body shop that does interior work to look at it; they may have a far better price than a dealer because their mechanics aren't factory trained and certified, and you aren't paying for a Goodwrench warranty that really isn't there for this kind of thing.

Thanks. Just traced dn a link off the idea you have on sunroof illustrations. http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=3026179&ukey_assembly=378279

and found what I have believed to be the drain at the lift gate. Seems it may have come loose on the rr. Worth investigating.

If it is a plugged drain line, you can use a piece of weed whacker line and feed it through the drain tubes to unplug the tube(s). My thought is that if a drain tube was plugged, the water intrusion would be near the sunroof. Based on your description, the source of the leak has to be by the hatch - either a disconnected drain tube or a bad weatherstrip.

$250.00 seems pretty high to me to remove a headliner to look for a water leak. My guess is that they woudn't completely remove it - just lower it enough to have someone look for the leak while someone sprays the roof with water.

Thnx

If you need a better diagram, let me know. The one I posted was one I already have on photobucket but is for the front drain on a 2010 model. I have the 2004 FSM on the same GM SI DVD and can post whatever they might have for the rear drain for a 2004 if you need it.

But at the time I posted the drain figure for the 2010 model, I found that drain diagrams in the FSM are not definitive. The diagram clearly shows the drain on the left side, while the car with the bad drain (disconnected hose) was on the right side - but it was in the A pillar (windshield frame) and was a mirror image of what the car with the problem was. So, even though your leak problem is with a rear drain, I figured that the way the drain hose is connected, mounted, and routed is worthwhile.

But, I'll look for a diagram of a rear drain for a 2004 model if you need one.

If you need a better diagram, let me know. The one I posted was one I already have on photobucket but is for the front drain on a 2010 model. I have the 2004 FSM on the same GM SI DVD and can post whatever they might have for the rear drain for a 2004 if you need it.

But at the time I posted the drain figure for the 2010 model, I found that drain diagrams in the FSM are not definitive. The diagram clearly shows the drain on the left side, while the car with the bad drain (disconnected hose) was on the right side - but it was in the A pillar (windshield frame) and was a mirror image of what the car with the problem was. So, even though your leak problem is with a rear drain, I figured that the way the drain hose is connected, mounted, and routed is worthwhile.

But, I'll look for a diagram of a rear drain for a 2004 model if you need one.

That would be great!!! Thnx

2004 CTX Sunroof Drain 00 photo 2004_CTX_Sunroof_Drain_00.png

2004 CTX Sunroof Drain 01 photo 2004_CTX_Sunroof_Drain_01.png

th_2004_CTX_Sunroof_Drain_00.png

th_2004_CTX_Sunroof_Drain_01.png

thnx Jim. Seems the pic is indicating these are for a CTS. It does however appear to match what the back corner looks like. Also comparing it to the illustration from Nally. Didn't think the tubing would have a 90 in it. From what I gather, it seems the nipple is not seated properly and leaking around it as well as draining dn the tube. That would explain why the headliner is wet in that corner.

... Seems the pic is indicating these are for a CTS....

I just re-checked, and these *are* for a 2004 SRX and are the only figures for the section "Sunroof Housing Rear Drain Hose Replacement." That doesn't mean that they aren't originally based on a CTS, but it does mean that they are used in the 2004 SRX FSM as illustrations for the drain hose routing and connections, which could happen if the SRX and CTS share a sunroof or at least the sunroof drain.

Archived