CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Testing Gumout All-in-One

Do fuel system cleaners actually work? Testing Gumout "All-in-One"

photo.jpg

This is the first test in a series of fuel cleaner test I will be performing to see how fuel cleaners work and if they actually work. In this video I tested Gumout "All in one" fuel system cleaner. I use a mini borescope camera to look into the engine and see how dirty the engine is before the fuel treatment and then after the fuel treatment.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

What the camera cannot show is the potential damage to fuel pump and fuel injector winding insulation. IF the chemistry of any aftermarket "carbon cleaner" is even a little bit of a varnish remover, the insulation on the fuel pump and injector windings can be softened or compromised. And one sure way to find out is to pour the product in your gas tank.

Use the fuel additive that GM recommends: NONE.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I was thinking along similar lines.

Would the carbon buildup noted reflect poor mixture or burn pattern to those parts of chamber?

Bruce

Many factors involved and it all boils down to combustion chamber design compromises. And since most engines have flat top pistons, the combustion chamber "design" tricks are accomplished in the cylinder head portion of the chamber.

He did not show us the head chambers. The little bit of carbon buildup on those Toyota pistons could probably be removed with a few applications of WOT therapy.

The 'harmful' carbon buildup occurs in the valve area, in particular the valve seats.

What I would expect a "fuel system cleaner" to do is prevent gumming of the injector orifices. And the additives in Tier one gasolines do that very nicely.

Treating carbon buildup with a fuel system cleaner is a bit of a misnomer.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I think his test is fair in that the product does claim to clean piston tops:

CLEANS

Direct and indirect fuel injectors, intake valves and ports, piston tops, cylinder heads, combustion chamber

Bruce

New test - seafoam

This is the second test in a series of fuel cleaner test I will be performing to see how fuel cleaners work and if they actually work. In this video I tested Seafoam. I use a mini borescope camera to look into the engine and see how dirty the engine is before the fuel treatment and then after the fuel treatment.
I followed the instructions on the container and seafoam did a great job cleaning a good amount of carbon off the piston head. I then filled the cylinder with seafoam and it cleaned out 99% of the carbon! After this test, I would recommend seafoam to clean out small engines. I am impressed by the results and finally we have proof that seafoam actually works!

Here is the fuel cleaner I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...
Here is the borescope camera I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J...

Here is the Gumout "all in one" fuel system cleaner test I did:

Bruce

Archived