CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

transmission swap list

I have a 2003 deville the transmission went out. The problem I'm having is that the closes 2003 transmission I can find is 80 miles away and I don't have the transportation to get there. Is there any other year I can get one out of I've found a 2005 and a 2000 transmission.

A search on www.car-part.com will show the years of compatable transmissions. You can search junkyards within a specific radius of your location. I would also check with the dealer parts department - they should be able to tell you what years would be interchangable with your car. If your car is the base Deville, you have engine code "Y" (verify the eighth digit of the VIN). You will need a VIN "Y" transmission. If your car is the DTS (300 HP), that will need the VIN 9 transmission.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Taking a few steps back, what is wrong with your current transmission - what are the symptoms? Sometimes the fix can be as simple as the shift solenoids which can be easily replaced. The failures we see here are rare, and are caused by neglect, or running them dry without fluid.

Well it started with the 3rd clutch housing going bad because it was leaking fluid on the driver side axle and it had a lot of play with it. Everyday I had to keep adding fluid to it. Also didn't have 3rd or 4th gear we're not working when I bought it I thought it would be a simple shift solenoid. The last week when I was starting from a stop sign all I hear was a loud while with a sound of a shotgun. I only had to coast downhill to get it into my house. Then next day went to get it into the backyard to work on it and it says it was in drive but no movement and the same in all gears.

I called LKQ 18003829792. They said 2000-2002 are different from 2003-2005. Can you get a build date of your car on the drivers door.

I'm thinking about just removing the transmission and ordering the the manual to figure out what is really going on with this transmission. When I drained the fluid it didn't smell burnt and when I dropped the pan it was clean no metal, clutch, or plastic.

Unless you know the internals of the 4T80e transaxle, it would be better to have a reputable transmssion shop look at it. It is a huge amount of work to remove the transaxle and if you don't get it repaired properly, you won't know it until you go through the work of installing the trans. and then removing it again. You could remove the transaxle and take it to a shop to save on the labor cost.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I called around and the only people around me is the gm dealer and they told me they could put a reman for 3k. And I don't have the transportation for 80 mile drive to get one. All I have to do with the transmission is the 6 bell housing bolts and it's removed. Subframe is already dropped.

I called around and the only people around me is the gm dealer and they told me they could put a reman for 3k. And I don't have the transportation for 80 mile drive to get one. All I have to do with the transmission is the 6 bell housing bolts and it's removed. Subframe is already dropped.

There are only four bell housing bolts. They are a PITA to access unless you remove the intake manifold to gain additional room.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived