CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Line Replacement

2008 DTS

Can anyone enlighten me on replacing the pressure line from the power steering pump to the rack. It's spraying in 3 different directions. I've read that the engine craddle needs to be dropped 3". Is that accurate?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

It looks easy enough. Looks like a retainer in the middle underneath and another retainer about the right side of the rack. Unscrew the fittings on both ends and remove.

Do I need to bleed this thing once the new line is installed or will it bleed on its own?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I lift the front end.

Fill the reservoir

with car off turn the wheels almost lock to lock.

check fluid

start the engine

turn from lock to lock about 6 times

shut off and let settle, check fluid and top off if needed.

I need to do the pressure line on my eldo also. It is leaking all over by the rear engine mount

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Done. Not my favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon but not horrible. I did end up having to loosen the front cradle bolts, removery the rears, and Jack the car up, dropping the drive train.there just wasn't enough room behind the engine.

That said, I am soooooo tired of this car breaking down. Recent weeks it has been broken down more than it has been running. In less than a year, I have replaced a water pump, intake, transmission, power steering line, and the torque strut. It had betier not break soon!

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Done. Not my favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon but not horrible. I did end up having to loosen the front cradle bolts, removery the rears, and Jack the car up, dropping the drive train.there just wasn't enough room behind the engine.

That said, I am soooooo tired of this car breaking down. Recent weeks it has been broken down more than it has been running. In less than a year, I have replaced a water pump, intake, transmission, power steering line, and the torque strut. It had betier not break soon!

What was the reason the water pump needed to be replaced? I have 194,000 miles on the STS and it has the original water pump. I did have to replace a water pump on my '96 Seville at 67,000 miles - the seal was leaking.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

IIRC it seized up right.

If you want my honest opinion maybe the track record is not helped by who has done the work on it. I have rotten luck when going to the dealers, One thing leads to another, and another.

the torque strut, and power steering line I am not surprised. The lines seem to be poorly made where the hose is crimped to the line.

I have run into many reoccuring failures with tranny, steering, and oil cooler lines with the same problem.

GM FAN FOREVER

weird. not a usual failure. usually they leak where the rubber and line come together, or if they are old enough to rot.

Not sure why yours would fail that way.

GM FAN FOREVER

I normally wouldnt agree, but I cant blame you. Some cars are just problematic, but I still think it depends on how honest the techs are that work on it

GM FAN FOREVER

Well, the water pump was failure pure and simple. The intake was the tech's fault and the transmission is suspected to be the same. The torque strut and P/S hose are again failure. The heated seat problem is also failure as well as the strut bearings that clunk every time we turn the wheel.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Oh, and the DIC has a message about low washer fluid all of the time...And the washer fluid res is full. Not a big deal but goes with the underlying theme of diminished quality.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, I'm in talks with the dealer about trading this car in. I've just about had my fill of it...

Is it the same dealer that botched the intake manifild R&R?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So the newer Gms are still having the issue with the strut bearings, Quite a crappy design if you ask me.

GM FAN FOREVER

So the newer Gms are still having the issue with the strut bearings, Quite a crappy design if you ask me.

I had the strut bearing replaced on my 2006 DTS at about 90,000 miles...

Thankfully it was still under the extended GMPP warranty.

Posted Image

Well, I'm in talks with the dealer about trading this car in. I've just about had my fill of it...

Hell no! lol

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Hell no! lol

:lol: Glad to hear that!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm a member of the Oklahoma Camaros club and the owner of this Dealership is also a member. He has an excelent reputation in Tulsa as well as in our club. I am a Shriner as well and our Shrine organization is a patron of this dealership...So I'm comfortable with them. We've had service done there many times on our Impala and Camaro.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, she's gone. :( The wife is driving a 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe. I've got a 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS 45th Anniversary convertible myself.

I'll hang around here for a bit if no one minds as I imagine that I will be back in the Cadillac family soon enough. This was my 4th and probably not my last.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, she's gone. :( The wife is driving a 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe. I've got a 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS 45th Anniversary convertible myself.

I'll hang around here for a bit if no one minds as I imagine that I will be back in the Cadillac family soon enough. This was my 4th and probably not my last.

Congratulations on the New Camaro... :hatsoff:

Please continue to hang around... It's hard to give up Cadillacs once you are used to them...:)

Posted Image

congrats.

My honest opinion. (Dont kill me) is that cadillac is nothing like it used to be. Thats the reason why I still have 90s caddys.

It is too bad because the price of cars is higher than ever.

The 01 eldo I have is the newest one I have owned yet and will not likely own anything newer.

Only other one I might like if I found the right one is the 04 DTS in black or red.

Post some pics of the new camaros if you can

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived