CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 northstar engine into a 1995 ETC

I have a 1995 Eldorado ETC vin "9" - with no problems yet.

I also have an opportunity to get a 2001 northstar engine vin "9", cheap, from a guy who has it laying around his garadge.

I am thinking of having the 2001 engine on stand by in anticipation of an issue with the 1995 engine.

My question is will the 2001 swap into the 1995 with no issues?

The 2001 engine will not work in the 1995 car. There were too many changes to the engine such as the crank sensors and controls as well as lack of mounting points for the dogbones at the front. The combustion chamber was redesigned for 2000 model year as well. The intake near the throttle body was also different. There are just too many differences that it would not be a plug and play project.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It would probably be cheaper to find a 2001 model with a bad engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When I did a nationwide search on www.car-part.com, the only engines that came up were 1995 models. I think the Idle Air Control replaced the Idle Speed Motor with the 1996 model year. Also 1995 was the first year of the plastic intake and revised EGR system. It looks like 1995 may be a unique year as far as the engine goes.

To me, it makes more sense to repair an existing engine when and if the time comes vs. having some used engine laying around. If the used engine was not prepped properly for long term storage, there could be corrosion issues to deal with that would esentially require a full rebuild anyway.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 1995 model year was the last OBD I year. The sensors changed quite a bit.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived