CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'89-'93 de Ville & Derivatives - Cornering Lights

Hello All,

Now another mystery is upon me. This doesn't amount to a crisis of any sort, but I like to keep all features working.

On my 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, the appropriate front cornering light comes on any time the headlights are illuminated and you use the turn signal. I just went out and tested this.

Oddly, on the Cadillac the cornering lights have never illuminated. I have already tested the bulbs, and both are fine, and I have done the "use the turn signal with the headlights on" test and still nada.

I have reported in the past about my smoldering steering column near the turn signal switch. This has not recurred at all recently, but I'm wondering if, somehow, this might have something to do with the cornering lights not functioning. Since I know it's not the bulbs it has to be either something involved in switching them on or a bad fuse. I don't seem to have anything else not functioning and even the detailed map of the fuse block does not note which fuse the cornering lamps are on.

If anyone knows which fuse this is, please post that here. Any ideas about how to track down what's causing this failure would also be appreciated.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

I had a similar issue on a Park Avenue years ago and the bulb sockets were corroded. Have you verified voltage at the bulb socket when the corering lamps are supposed to be illuminated?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin,

No, I haven't, but everything looks as clean as a whistle in there. The bulbs used for these lamps are halogen of some sort and have a base, and connector, that's very similar to what's on the headlamps down to the little blue dust bellows. I did apply some Caig DeOxIt followed by a dab of NoOxId electrically conductive grease before putting it all back together. If I have no current (which I think I don't) I sincerely doubt corrosion is the issue here. I can definitely check with my multimeter if that would help with further diagnosis.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

A short follow-up, click here to see the electrical diagram from the Service Information Manual for the cornering lights.

I have checked Fuse 19 and the backup lights are working. If anyone happens to have a 1989 DeVille and would be willing to pull

fuse 19 to see if that kills their cornering lights and backup lights I'd appreciate it.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Archived