CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'89-'93 de Ville & Derivatives - Changing Headlamp Bulbs

I feel almost like an idiot asking this question, but: How does one go about changing the low and high beam headlamp bulbs?

The Owner's Manual says not one word (or at least one that I can find using the index - and I don't remember reading any) on how to do this and the Service Information Manual is no better.

It's clear that you can't reach in from behind to get to them as is common on most cars that use the style of halogen bulb that these cars do. Must one remove the side marker/turn signal and then the entire headlamp housing to change them out? This is something I can normally do in my sleep, or have no difficulty with after consulting the appropriate documentation, but not this time.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

Well, since I wanted to get this job done I decided to noodle around with it this afternoon using the Service Information Manual as a semi-guide.

The process is not difficult, unless you have large (or even medium sized) hands and need to reach in to get at the high-beam lamp. The space you're working in is quite cramped.

One must remove the turn signal/side marker light housing to access the rear side of the headlight housing. This is very easily done and all you need to do is remove two Torx T-15 screws at the front end, top and bottom, of the turn signal/side marker housing. It then can be removed by gently pulling forward to disengage the two "fingers" that hold the rear edge into two holes in the fender.

Once you have access to the area behind the headlamp housing you just reach in to find the bulb you wish to replace. The style is precisely the same as most of the halogen bulbs that you're used to if you've changed any over the last several decades. Rotate the base counterclockwise and the lamp will release itself from the housing. Replace with the new lamp, being very careful not to touch the new lamp with your fingers. Halogen or Xenon lamps should only be held by their plastic base. If you happen to grab the glass part be sure to wipe it down with denatured or isopropyl alcohol before you install it. Once you get the new lamp inserted into its hole in the housing you gently rotate it clockwise until it stops moving. This takes very little effort, so don't overdo the force you use.

Reinstall the turn-signal/side marker housing and you're good to go.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

Archived