CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Time to replace inner & outer tie rods, hubs, and new tires

Well, it’s time I replace the inner and outer tie rods, the left and right front hub assembly (and maybe rear hubs), and buy new tires before winter. The tie rods are Moog and the hubs are Timken. I’m going to address the alignment (toe in) problem before I spend $800 or more on new tires. I don't think the hub(s) are a problem at this time; however, since my STS has over 250K miles, I’m thinking I’ll just replace them before they give out. The new tires I'm considering is either the Michelin Pilot MXM4 or the Bridgestone DriveGuard tires I stumbled on, which look like a good possibility. The DriveGuard (reviewed in Car and Driver) has the latest technology and supposedly do not compromise ride comfort for a "run-flat" tire, can be purchased with tread life of 60K, are all-season tires, and will go 50 miles on no air.

I thought about buying a newer used Cadillac (another STS) but decided to run this one for at least another 3-5 years. It's not perfect, but I'm still way ahead of the game if I simply replace the rods, hubs and tires even with high mileage. If I can get another 100K, I'll go for it.

Archived