CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4T80 left axle repair

barczy01

I found this to repair the dreaded left axle leak for the 2000-2003 4T80

85$ plus your labor, not bad.

What is the part that wears out in the trans to cause the excessive play in the axle? Is it just a sleeve bearing?

Did you see that "SOME MACHINING IS REQUIRED"?

Yes but it's on the axle, not the transmission. Much easier than removing the transmission.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes, some machining is required. I am heading to pull-a-part to grab an axle out of a car, and taking the inner cup to the machine shop to machine. The machine shop owner want to see the inner axle to see if he can machine it down.

What wears out in these transmissions in the third inner clutch housing bushing.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread, but my brother just had this same problem with his 4T80E transmission.

He was able to get a kit from Fitzall that included everything he needed to make the repair and we didn't have to machine anything. The part number was KT94125LB and it included a new axle, bearing and an extra seal. We was able to install everything in a couple of hours. He has put about 5000 miles on since than and still no leaks.

He's very happy because the shop wanted to charge about $3000 to fix it.

Here is the link...

http://www.fitzall.com/KT94125LB.php

• 2 months later...

I also am going to try this kit next month.

My left axle boot is torn so I need to swap out the axle anyway

and I can fix the leak at the same time. I'll report back on the result.

As a matter of fact @OldCadTech is planning on doing this job any minute!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Package arrived yesterday, I have to say this is some piece of engineering from Fitzall.

Half Shaft looks great and the seal / bearing assembly is really well machined.

It's basically a steel housing with a bearing and seal pressed in. Spare seal included.

Pics to follow

Yea there making a killing on that kit. I bought an axle like the one above and took the inner axle to a machine shop in Indianapolis to be machined. They charged me 15$ to machine off the excess to their specifications. 

39 minutes ago, barczy01 said:

Yea there making a killing on that kit. I bought an axle like the one above and took the inner axle to a machine shop in Indianapolis to be machined. They charged me 15$ to machine off the excess to their specifications. 

What's the name of this machine shop, where is it located?

Is that retail labor cost, or your shop "favor" rate?

5 hours ago, barczy01 said:

I am sure you can find a machine shop to turn down the axle for you local.

Not for $15, that's a price you get when you're a shop & do a lot of business with the machine shop.

Before I retired, I dealt with several machine shops, a few that would have done it for free.

You can barely get a brake disc machined for $15 these days, forget about chucking up a CV shaft end.

I paid $ 20 to have mine machined. He didn't know me and I didn't know him. I gave him a $10 tip and still only paid $20.

I haven't installed mine yet, I'm pretty sure I heard a voice telling me to build an ARK instead, cuz the rain ain't stopping.... 

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

My only concern is the aftermarket axle....it appears to have the rubbery boots which don't seem to last very long. 

It also appears to have the heavier style CV axle design. ....about 5 lbs heavier if I remember...you may end up feeling it. 

For the amount of work involved....I would recommend a good used axle vs. using a aftermarket one. But that is only my opinion. 

Update....I did find the old post and pic showing the heavy vs light axle. In that post it says the axles are 15 lbs different...that's a bunch.

Picture shows 2 GM transmission inner CV joints....Heavy weight style on left....light weight style on right....not to be confused with the limo heavy duty version axles.

axle.jpg

To clarify, I purchased the inner tri-pot only ( light-weight version ) . I tried to buy ONLY the boot band and I had NO luck. I ended up purchasing the NAPA boot kit ( 686-2325 ) but it also has the cheap boot. I'll remove the old boot band from the tri-pot and reuse the factory boot. The kit includes the grease package. If I mess up I'll install the new boot but don't think that will happen.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

I purchased the axle shafts from O'reilly auto . Precision axle shaft Part# GM8161 brand new for 50$. 1 old style cv boot clamp non strap type from napa 3$ and a bag of grease 3$. Take the cv shaft apart and take it to the machine shop to machine down. Reassemble it when I get back. that way i'm ready to go when I have to install the machine shaft with the fitzall stabilizer.

Archived