CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

When I fill 5 quarts of oil in my 472 it only shows on the tip of the oil stick.

Anyone no what the right length of the oil dip stick should be on the 472 Engine?

Is the dipstick tube fully inserted into the block? If not, that could cause a false low reading on the stick. Also, are you checking the oil when it is hot?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The tube is fully inserted.
It's a new tube, maby it's length is not right.

Don't have the old tube any longer, so can't compare.

How long should the tube stick up from the engine block?

Have just put the engine in the car after a renovation, haven't started it yet.

The oil dipstick tube is pressed into the block. If it isn't pressed all the way in, the dip stick reading will be low.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Not sure why it is reading low if the tube is fully inserted. As long as you have 5 quarts in there, I wouldn't be too concerned but at the same time, I'd want to find out why it's reading low.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think he is wondering if he has the wrong tube installed. I have no idea how long it is supposed to be, but if your engine does take 5 quarts (i don't know that either) and the tube is fully seated, why not remark the dip stick assuming you have the old one and know it is correct. I figure you are wanting the correct tube if you now have the wrong one. That would get you by until the problem is resolved.

The 472 was sold for seven model years, 1968 through 1974. Perhaps the model year would help, just in case there was any change. Also, the 472 was used in the Eldorado which was FWD, and may have had a different dipstick from the RWD models.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The 472 was sold for seven model years, 1968 through 1974. Perhaps the model year would help, just in case there was any change. Also, the 472 was used in the Eldorado which was FWD, and may have had a different dipstick from the RWD models.

His avatar block says 1972 Sedan deVille...

Posted Image

Archived