CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad O2 Sensor? 1996 Cadillac Deville

i think i may have a bad O2 sensor however the problem is my Cadillac is a 1996 and the test computers to run codes only go back to 97'

any ideas? also is there a common O2 sensor that goes bad or is it just random

Thanks!

Using the off & warmer buttons, check your codes. I did the same on my '96 deville last year, and it told me what O2 sensor was bad. I bought a OEM replacement on ebay, installed it, and all has been fine since. I recall the OEM was not expensive, and installing it was not bad at all with the free rental from autozone.

the only pain in the butt one is the one between the engine and the hearer box on the firewall. the others are not bad

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

check engine light is on and i get the check emissions system msg.

i also seem to have to a miss that i can feel while in idle

The check engine light can indicate many problems, not just O2 sensors. Could be a bad plug, or plug wire, or coil pack, or injector, etc. etc...

Run the codes first, and hopefully you won't waste time and money needlessly on this problem.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Write down all the codes and post them here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

FWIW, a bad oxygen sensor usually won't cause a miss.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Usually a miss turns out to be plugs, plug wires, or arcing in the spark plug well. The placement of the plug wires when you put the beauty cover back on is *very* critical. Once the plug wires start to cross-fire or arc to ground, you will need new ones to get a reliable fix. You can check the plug wires by taking off the beauty cover and watching the plug wires at idle in the dark. A general blue glow around them is normal but if you hear sparks, you need new plug wires.

• 4 months later...

I have a 96 devil I bought this car really cheap and it is perfect shape but when I bought it it was smokeing white and smelled like raw fuel .so I thought it was a head gasket so I tried block seal now it wont start at all.i pulled the codes on it and they are c0001 p0001 voo81 po300 p0107 p0108 p0325 p0306 and I don't even know were to start.but I have a 02 with the same motor .can I put it in my 96 all help is greatly appreciated thank you and god bless..

The 2002 engine will not be compatable with the 1996 car. The two engines have different accessory mounting points and the ECM in the 1996 car won't be able to read the crank sensors from the 2002 engine.

If the exhaust smelled like raw fuel - there is unmetered fuel getting into the combustion chamber - either by a leaking fuel injector(s) or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Do a search on this site for the codes - they may lead to the issue that is causing the no-start condition.

I would flush out the block sealer that was added to the cooling system. No sealer in a can will seal a bad headgasket. Before jumping to the conclusion the headgaskets are bad, proper diagnosis is in order.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived