CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey everyone,

I'm rolling my introduction into that of this project: "Soldiers Shield"

I'm a former Army Infanrtyman, living in Ohio while pursuing my Bachelor's in Electronic and Computer Engineering. This project however, is not a vanity title. This 1998 DeVille belonged to my youngest brother (I am the oldest of four), we found it in many parts in his garage after we lost him in the Helmund district. It has been flooded three times, shot, and deer wrecked, but I have plans for it.

I have been working on a Micro-ATX Intel I5 install with touch in the armrest and in the void of the radio. I have begun experiments with interfacing the 1870 bus to the PC for replacement of the missing IRC module. Eventually, this will provide long term, time tagged error reporting and some runtime adjustments. Plus, having 5.1 surround in my car is nice- provided through 5 channel 2500 watt(surrounds) and 600 watt(subs) amplifiers. Eventually, I would like to look at electrochromatic tinting and supercharging...

But for now, I suppose I have to focus on the pesky "keep it running" issue. I am a decently intelligent person, however, the N* is a ball of impracticality rolled through a pile of convolution crapped out by some whacked out engineers. After dealing with the disassembly of my intake to change my started solenoid, tracing my malfunctioning wipers to corrosion in the trunk, and a whole host of issues to a surprisingly not a fire in my passenger vanity that failed to blow a fuse somehow... I can only come to the conclusion that those GM engineers were high one day, and said, "you know what would be funny? Let's put an engine in sideways and watch the techs react!"... But it is one tough SOB.

I'll post here as issues are tackled and would appreciate any shortcuts over self-discovery. For example- this week's research:

What input, beside Engine coolant Temp sensor does the PCM use to trigger the coolant fans?! I am sick of running the air conditioner (which assumes the fan motors, relays and wiring are all good).

Thanks in advance!

J. Campbell

First :welcomesmiley:

With as much as you want to do to the 1998 deVille, I would suggest getting your own service manual from ebay.

They are fairly inexpensive.

You are going to need wiring diagrams / color of various wires and schematics and no telling at this point what else.

The service manual has anything you need to kow about the car.

Forget Haynes and just about any other manual... they don't have 1000th of the information that the service manual has.

Some of the people on the forum have service manuals and they will be glad to help out, but there is nothing like having one you can look at any time you need to.

And just as an afterthought... I disagree with your assessment of the NorthStar.

I think it is a fine piece of engineering.

Posted Image

First of all, the Northstar was one of the most successful engines out there and won tons of awards in its run from the 1993 through the 2011 model years. It is far simpler than earlier designs in terms of number of mechanical systems and number of parts for its displacement or power output. The 275 hp version is capable of over 25 mpg highway for extended trips with no particular attention to economy by the driver, and the model year 2000 and later Northstars are ULEVs.

You say the car "has been flooded three times." I take that to mean that it has been at least partly underwater three times. The fact that there is anything there for you to use as a project car is a bit of a mystery to me. But it does explain why the starter solenoid needed work.

But, to answer your question, there is only one engine coolant sensor (ECT) on the Northstar, on the right (firewall side) head on the rear (left side of the car). I'm not sure why you connect this with running the air conditioner. Here is the data from the 1997 FSM section on Cooling fans, p. 6-797:
Low speed on when any of these is true:

Engine temperature is 106 C or 229 F
Transmission temperature is 150 C or 302 F
A/C is on
Fans will run on LOW with key off if coolant 151 C or 304 F or higher
Low speed will turn off when the engine temperature is 102 C or 216 F or lower.

Fans will run on High speed on when any of these is true:

Engine 112 C or 234 F
Transmission 151 C or 304 F

Fan speed will go from High to Low when Coolant 106 C or 229 F or lower.

The information that you are asking about integrating the radio with the car's network probably isn't forthcoming. The radios in Cadillacs (and in fact nearly all cars nowadays) are protected by theft deterrent and prevention systems that include the car "knowing" if the radio is the right one, and the radio "knowing" if it is in the right car. You may be able to do something limited like let the car know that a radio is there but I doubt it. I believe that you can set up the car to not try to talk to the radio and avoid radio and network DTCs. Ask anyone experience in aftermarket sound systems about what you can do with the car's network and how to do it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hey everyone,

I'm rolling my introduction into that of this project: "Soldiers Shield"

I'm a former Army Infanrtyman, living in Ohio while pursuing my Bachelor's in Electronic and Computer Engineering. This project however, is not a vanity title. This 1998 DeVille belonged to my youngest brother (I am the oldest of four), we found it in many parts in his garage after we lost him in the Helmund district. It has been flooded three times, shot, and deer wrecked, but I have plans for it.

I have been working on a Micro-ATX Intel I5 install with touch in the armrest and in the void of the radio. I have begun experiments with interfacing the 1870 bus to the PC for replacement of the missing IRC module. Eventually, this will provide long term, time tagged error reporting and some runtime adjustments. Plus, having 5.1 surround in my car is nice- provided through 5 channel 2500 watt(surrounds) and 600 watt(subs) amplifiers. Eventually, I would like to look at electrochromatic tinting and supercharging...

But for now, I suppose I have to focus on the pesky "keep it running" issue. I am a decently intelligent person, however, the N* is a ball of impracticality rolled through a pile of convolution crapped out by some whacked out engineers. After dealing with the disassembly of my intake to change my started solenoid, tracing my malfunctioning wipers to corrosion in the trunk, and a whole host of issues to a surprisingly not a fire in my passenger vanity that failed to blow a fuse somehow... I can only come to the conclusion that those GM engineers were high one day, and said, "you know what would be funny? Let's put an engine in sideways and watch the techs react!"... But it is one tough SOB.

I'll post here as issues are tackled and would appreciate any shortcuts over self-discovery. For example- this week's research:

What input, beside Engine coolant Temp sensor does the PCM use to trigger the coolant fans?! I am sick of running the air conditioner (which assumes the fan motors, relays and wiring are all good).

Thanks in advance!

J. Campbell

Engines have been transverse mounted for almost 30 years - this should not be a surprise to you. The engineers who developed the Northstar were not "high" - it is an awesome piece of engineering - 300HP and 27 MPG to boot. If it weren't, it would not have lasted 19 model years. The only other engines that have that longevity are the Chevrolet 350 V8 and the Buick 3800 V6.

The fact that you made a statement like that shows you know absolutely NOTHING about engineering or how products are engineered.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived