CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cadillac seville 98 help dont know what to do next please help

Hello I have a Cadillac Seville 98 everything was working good until a few months ago "my battery drains overnight" so I decide to change my ecm I got a new one programmed with my vin # but I can't get to turn on " starting disable "remove key " so now I have 2 problems battery drains and car wont start any ideas they send me a guide to program the key "move key to on position for 10 min then to the off position for 10sec 3 times and on the 4th time leave the key in the off position for 10 min " car still does not turn on P.S battery fully charge "new battery "attached with charger

:welcomesmiley:

The first thing to do is to put your original ECM back if you can. If the theft prevention isn't working, the programming wasn't completed. Only a dealer with a Tech II certified Goodwrench tech and GM locksmith certification can program in the theft prevention in modules.

A big black hole is that we don't have any information on the OBD codes. That will tell anything that any of the car's computer detects. It may help with finding the battery drain. Please run the OBD codes (see the link in my signature block), write them down, and post them here.

That said, there is a good possibility that a problem that causes a battery drain problem won't throw an OBD code. Sometimes they are caused by sticking relays, shorts in the wiring, or something that "tickles" the PZM and keeps turning on the car's modules. The simplest way is to select top-level fuses and pull them one at a time until the main circuit with the problem is identified, then pull the fuses under that one, one at a time, until the circuit is identified. With just one circuit, finding the problem becomes doable.

My FSM coverage has a gap for your model. I have a 1997 FSM which is reasonably accurate for the electrical systems of 1996-1999 Eldorados and 1996-1997 Sevilles and Devilles. I have a GM DVD that covers the 2002 through 2011 model years that is reasonably accurate for 2000 and 2001 model years. But the 1998-1999 Seville and Deville model years aren't covered. Someone with a 1998 FSM needs to step in and list the top-level fuses.

If no one steps up in 24 hours, I will use my 1997 FSM and see if that is correct for your car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

okey thank u for helping me ill put the original ecm back and get the codes tru my laptop ill post them as soon as possible thank u very much

You don't need your laptop to read the codes.

Use the buttons on the dash...

This link will tell you how to do it.... http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Posted Image

On this forum, there were several members who found corrosion on the underside of their fuse panel over the drivers front wheel. It moght be worth checking there, and giving it a little cleaning.

I believe there is a ground on the left side of the engine compartment on the left framerail. You can barely see it below the air cleaner housing. Its ground G101 and the bolt gets rusted in the frame and when you try to remove it it snaps off in the frame. I remove the ground and install it to one of the studs on the coolant surge tank. I clean a stud and add a washer.

Does the car run ok? Cut off or stall randomly?

okey sofar I put the original computer car turns on working good but still have the battery drain problem here are the codes that it has at the moment I wait afew hours and read the codes again I know it has more but their not showing at the moment

c1252-lf normal force circuit malfunction

c1288 steering sensor malfunction

b1117 passenger deployment loop open

b1126 driver deployment loop open

b1134 unknown code

b1152 event data recording full

B1134 Passenger Pretensioner Loop Open

I don't have time to look them all up, but my list can be had through a link in my signature block.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

All 4 of these are air mix door movement faults....B1340 B1341 B1343 B1344

C1252- Left Front Normal Force Malfunction

C1288 - Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction

B1324 - Refrigerant overpressure.

B1117 - Passenger Deployment Loop Open

B1126 - Driver Deployment Loop Open

B1134 - Passenger Pretensioner Loop Open

B1152 - Data Area Full

B1161 - Lamp Circuit Failure for the Airbag light

C1783 - ICCS2 DL Left Output Short Circuit to GND

Posted Image

There are too many CURRENT codes here. All that at once, CURRENT, doesn't happen unless, say, the car is submerged in salt water. I would try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for five minutes, then re-connecting the battery, start and drive the car, then check the codes again before you turn off the key.

But, I'll make some comments on the assumption that they all come back, CURRENT.

It looks like there is something wrong with the air bags and either the air bag warning light bulb is out or someone took out the bulb out.

The B1234 tells us that the A/C is badly overcharged. I believe that your A/C system holds only 2 pounds of Freon. Or, your expansion valve is clogged.

The C1252 and C1288 indicate a problem with the wiring harness associated with the EBTCM and its connector. The C1252 says that the circuit back to the RSS module in the rear is bad; there are two of them and you are getting a code for only one, so it is probably a wiring problem. The C1288 is about a circuit between the EBTCM and the steering wheel position sensor. The C1783 seems to say that the data line that is shorted out is the same one that the C1252 code is about.

A lot of these codes are about wiring harness or connector problems concerning the EBTCM and its connector. I would start there.

Nothing in the codes tells why the battery drain doesn't go to zero after the car is parked about ten minutes. I suggest that you solve the pressing problems indicated by the CURRENT codes and then pull fuses to isolate the battery drain.

Have you been charging the battery at a trickle charge? Did you jump the car with another car?

If the battery is draining that fast I would think a positive cable is drawing to ground causing the pull.

There are way too many codes at once to make much sense of anything.

Does the alternator output good when running?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The EBTCM or EBCM is bolted to the BPMV and the assembly of the two is mounted to the frame right behind the radiator on the driver's side, below the radiator air stream. The 1997 FSM says to remove the air cleaner and access the EBTCM from the top but if you have a lift it may be easier to remove the air director shields and get at it from the bottom.

You can find it easily enough by following the brake lines. All the brake lines, from the master cylinder *and* from the wheels, go to the BPMV. Also, a large wiring harness connector is on the EBTCM.

Hey, my post #19 above was supposed to be to a guy with a 1996 STS, and your posts #18 and #20 are duplicates. (?)

I don't have reliable information for Sevillle/Deville for the 1998-1999 model years. My 1997 FSM doesn't apply to those models, and my 2002 and up FSM isn't reliable. But, using my 2002 FSM, I see two RADIO fuses in the rear fuse block, one 15 Amp for the CD player and receivers and one 30 Amp for the amplifiers. If your car follows that, then unplug the CD player and see if that solves the battery drain.

Does yours have the Bose setup? If so pull the amp fuse and see if that resolves the draw. Maybe there is something wrong with the amp

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived