CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM hit with $10 billion lawsuit saying recalls damaged brand

99EldoETC

Excerpt via: whatreallyhappened.com

According to a complaint filed on Wednesday with the federal court in Riverside, California, GM hurt customers by concealing known defects and valuing cost-cutting over safety, leading to roughly 40 recalls covering more than 20 million vehicles this year alone.

It said this has caused a variety of late-model vehicles to lose roughly $500 to $2,600 in resale value.

Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro, which filed the lawsuit, said the case could be worth more than $10 billion, and is the first seeking to force GM to pay a potential 15 million car and truck owners, not just those whose vehicles were recalled, for damage to its brand and reputation.

The case is Andrews v. General Motors LLC, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, No. 14-01239.

Read more

Well the charge is false; retail value for most GM vehicles has stayed on par with other cars (and some have even beaten average prices). Whether, through legal-speak (lawyers lying, in regular speak) they get anywhere with this suit, who can tell. Maybe it will get thrown out (even before arguments); it has been reported in the newspaper and on online sources that devalued pricing has just not occurred (with the vehicles affected).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

This sort of suit only seems to serve to make the lawyers rich and is a good example for the benefit of torte reform.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean???

A good start....LOL

:lol:

How do you save a lawyer from drowning? Take your foot off his head.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A priest, a rabbi and a lawyer are caught in the surf (trying to get back to shore) when man eating sharks head their way. Poof, the shark 'takes' the priest, closely followed by the rabbit, yet the lawyer finally gets to shore unscathed. So how did the lawyer make it without being devoured: professional courtesy

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

A Frenchman, an Englishman, a Mexican, and a Texas lawyer were flying over water in a small plane when the engine started sputtering. The pilot said to throw everything overboard so that they had a chance to make it to land. After the interior was stripped, the pilot said that they needed to lose more weight or they wouldn't make it. The Frenchman jumped out, exclaiming "Viva la France!" A few minutes later, the pilot gave yet another plea. The Englishman jumped out while yelling "God save the Queen!" Even so, the plane was getting low to the water and the pilot made one last plea. The Texas lawyer grabbed the Mexican and threw him out the door and yelled "Remember the Alamo!"

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

A Frenchman, an Englishman, a Mexican, and a Texas lawyer were flying over water in a small plane when the engine started sputtering. The pilot said to throw everything overboard so that they had a chance to make it to land. After the interior was stripped, the pilot said that they needed to lose more weight or they wouldn't make it. The Frenchman jumped out, exclaiming "Viva la France!" A few minutes later, the pilot gave yet another plea. The Englishman jumped out while yelling "God save the Queen!" Even so, the plane was getting low to the water and the pilot made one last plea. The Texas lawyer grabbed the Mexican and threw him out the door and yelled "Remember the Alamo!"

:lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

lol.

I dont foresee anyone getting anywhere with this one.

GM is by far not the only ones doing this, All car makers are but do what they can to cover it up. Everyone has their shares.

lawyers would probably like to take advantage of it to rake in some money any way they can

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The problem with the trends and drifts in tort law is that in its current state it benefits pretty much just the lawyers. Plaintiffs that win get perhaps half the gross which then is eaten by snakes before they can cash the check. The difficulty with tort law reform is, well, most legislators are lawyers...

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived