CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 eldorado wont stay on after it cranks up

Valle

Hi um ive been having trouble with my beautiful black 96 cadillac eldorado.. one day after coming home from the gym. I was getting ready to leave again but my car immediately shut off after ignition.. this has happened before since ive had battery issues but I fixed that so it came as a surprise.. I cranked it once more and boom I heard a loud knock.. cranked it again and nothin.. the car wouldn't stay on.. I replaced the fuel filter checked the fuel pump psi even the ignition switch which a mechanic swore was the issue.. and wanted to charge me $500 with labor and parts for the ignition switch.. however I contacted my personal lock smith and he told me that was impossible the car wouldnt even turn on if it was the switch.. so now im here thinking about what it could be.. the "Car may not start" warning has always been on since I got the car.. it never gave me no problems.. ive had the car 5 years.. the emissions system warning however did start flashing a couple months prior and it would go away so I ignored it.. I came across another forum with a guy that owned an ETC he took his to the Dealer to replace the Nylon fuel rail with a steel fuel rail.. his car was up and running.. they told him to get a new regulator and an oil change bc fuel may have leaked into the oil.. any help?? To keep it short the car turns on for a few seconds and shuts off immediately after especially when pressing the pedal.. appreciate any hel thx

:welcomesmiley:

This sounds like the fuel pump relay, a $5 part, although it could be other things like the intake manifold blow-out plug sticking. This is a plug-in relay on the fuse block under the hood. That fuse block is in front of the strut tower on the driver's side and has a plastic cover over it.

One way that you can tell for sure about the relay is to run the OBD codes. You can do it yourself from the driver's seat using the A/C buttons, and read them off the DIC. With the key on, press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> togehter for a few seconds until all the dash lights come on like you just turned on the key. Then release them both and watch the OBD codes on the display under the speedometer. When it's done, you will see "PCM?" at which time you turn off the key. Write down the codes and post them here.

Anybody who claims to be able to diagnose any late model car without a scan tool (or, on a Cadillac, reading the codes from the A/C buttons) shouldn't be working on your car.

How about some pictures???

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ok, thx I will try that out tomorrow and take a couple of pics. I wish it was the relay and ill look more into that intake manifold blow out plug. Ill post the codes it gives me tomorrow.

could it be the security problem has occured? Have you tried another key in the ignition?

The person that said to replace the ignition may be on to something. The vats chip reader in the ignition is likely at fault. The 2 tiny wires that come out of the ignition and run down the column break and cause it to trip the security when you turn on the ignition (ie it doesnt recognize the chip in the key) and without that the car wont start and the message you mention is tripped.

The only way the car starts with this problem is if the keysense is lost when the ignition is on, it will go into a mode that disables the security until it recognizes the chip again. It will throw the message on every key cycle but the car will start.

There is a trick on most GMs to disable the vats system, Quite easy and free to do but with the cadillacs it will always throw the message on startup so I dont typically recommend it for them. Best of luck to you.

Welcome to caddyinfo.

Pull your IPC codes and they will tell us more. If you have a B2711 that is a telltale that either the wires broke to the ignition or the pellet in your key is too worn. But more likely the problem is in the ignition wires

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hi Valle, Welcome and hope you get your problem sorted; Yes a black Eldo is a sight to behold.

@ Cadillac Jim:

Anybody who claims to be able to diagnose any late model car without a scan tool (or, on a Cadillac, reading the codes from the A/C buttons) shouldn't be working on your car.

Thanks for mentioning that. It hadn't occurred to me. I have filed that away for future reference.

Typically when a fuel pump relay is going bad it may start hard, take several cranks to start. There would likely be a check fuel system message also. A P0231 I believe is the code for a fuel pump resistance issue

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived