CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stock Eldorado Data

Stock Eldorado ETC data:

Car weight: 3,814

Weight Ratio F/R: 63/37

2,402 lbs. front (1201 each front corner)

1,412 lbs. rear (706 each rear corner)

Wheel base 108” (NOTE: C6 Corvette wheelbase 105.7”, 1997-2008 Grand Prix wheelbase 110.5”)

Track width front and rear is a matched 60.9”

Strut front suspension w/12” disc brakes

Rear is a double A-arm IRS with 11” disc brakes

Stock ride height 5.9”

Steering wheel turns to lock: 2.65

Turning circle: 40.35’

Engine: 4.6 Northstar w/ Sequential TPI

Horsepower: 275 @ 5600

Torque: 300 @ 4000

Compression 10:1

Gear ratio 3.11:1

MPG 18 City, 27 interstate, 24 average

0-60 @ 6.8 seconds (as clocked by me)

0-80 and back to zero in 13.5 seconds (as clocked by me after a front brake replacement)

1217131620.jpg

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=96

Video: Stock zero to 80 and back to zero just after a stock replacement brake job; the brakes had just been done, so they were not settled in yet. The performance has improved some now that they are not so new.

The car was stopped while the speedometer was still falling from 30 MPH. I used a stopwatch to time the video later.

My results were:

0-60 in 6.8 seconds

0 to 80 and back to 0 in 13.5 seconds.

you are welcome to time the video yourself to see if my readings were correct.

trying to embed the video; no luck so far...

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

Autocross Car Selection:

My top three choices – in order- for an affordable top brand American car with good gas mileage that I could use as a daily driver and autocross racer were:

1. Fourth generation “C4Corvette
  1. 91 base model (long story)
  2. 84 with Z51 handling pkg. (longer story)
  1. Last Generation Eldorado (non-touring coupe because I wanted to build a racing suspension)
  1. 93 base (last year of the 4.9, first year of the IRS)
  2. 2002 ESC (first year the head gasket (head bolt) issue was worked out)
  1. SVT Mustang Cobra (any year)

If I had listed the Eldorado Touring Coupe and the Mustang GT, then the list would also be ordered according to the best handling characteristics. The Cadillac forums have many Mustang road kill stories. Even driving my ESC, I have several stories of my own where I out cornered several varieties of V6 and V8 Mustangs.

From 93 – 02, the Eldorado IRS (independent rear suspension) upgraded the cornering characteristics of the car to the point that I read information calling it “world-class handling” and compared it to an 80’s Ferrari cornering ability.

I am NOT suggesting that the last generation Eldorado base models and sport coupes can out corner the Mustang Cobra; I am, however, reporting secondhand information that the last generation Eldorado Touring Coupes can out corner the V8 Mustang GTs. I have not only heard this from Eldorado owners, but from Mustang owners as well.

And it is not just cornering: One of the most humorous comments was a Mustang 5.0 driver who told me that his grandmother beat him in a stoplight drag race with her Eldorado Touring Coupe. LOL

If you paste in the link for a video from share this video - then grab the link from youtube,

It shows as text when in draft, but embeds in preview or full.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Cody says 2002 ESC first year with head gasket problem fixed.I have a 2001 ESC 61,000 actual miles I just bought two weeks ago my first Caddy.I thought 2000 models had a headbolt improvement? At least I hope so! This is my first post and hope to do more. Thanks for letting me part of this forum.

Cody says 2002 ESC first year with head gasket problem fixed.I have a 2001 ESC 61,000 actual miles I just bought two weeks ago my first Caddy.I thought 2000 models had a headbolt improvement? At least I hope so! This is my first post and hope to do more. Thanks for letting me part of this forum.

Welcome to Caddyindo EldoradoMan2001...

The Northstar had a head bolt re-design in 2000 and another one in 2004...

Posted Image

I was reading some technical information online that included detailed schematics of the engine. It noted the head bolt redesign of 2000 and mentioned another tweak done in 2002. It is possible that was a typo talking about 2004. However, through reading many posts on the large Cadillac forum, others confirmed 2002 as a year where the redesign of 2000 was perfected. It was after that when I considered a 2002 car as an option to the 93 with 4.9.

I feel confident that a Northstar that has been repaired with head studs like the ones offered by Northstar Performance will not fail a second time... However it is the initial repair that I cannot afford at this time. That, and the fact that the 4.9 is a much lighter engine, is why I was going to avoid a Northstar. BTW, so far, I am well pleased with the engine and unbeaten in unofficial drag races, much to the dislike of a few Mustang and import owners.

I have also found a shop with the dealership tools used for the head bolt repair job that will do it for $1700.

It is possible that the forum members who confirmed the 2002 tweak had also read the same info that I did. I cannot validate the information; I can only hope that the head bolts hold.

The 2000 redesign did address the issue of head bolt failure and it did reduce the risk.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum,Eldoradoman2001

Keep the coolant fresh and don't worry about the head bolts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about the headbolts.I am on the third week of driving the ESC and I averaged 24.5 mpg the first week and 25.5 the second week .This includes about 20% city driving.The 3.11 differential makes a big difference going 75 mph and turning 2000rpm .Why drive a rice burner when a full size luxury - sports car gets this kind of milage.If I knew a caddy rode and drove like this with this kind of mileage I would have had one twenty years ago when I was 29 not 49!I currently have a 2008 Buick Enclave ,2009 GMC Sierra with 5.3 and Z71 package and a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0 .You can tell I am single and very devoted to GM, and with a nice love for a small block V.8. All I need to do is trade off the Buick for a 2009 SRX with a Northstar and I will be set up good, although some of you are turning green out there thinking I am set up pretty good right now.Again you can't get enough small blockV-8,s if you are a real american! Enough of my rant ,till next time enjoy those Caddy,s out there!!!

Archived