CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Duke SS100 Jaguar replica wheel choices

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

Getting the side mounts ready for new wheels & tires. Also looking at the Duke without side mounts -- couple bolts to remove the bracket/holders, then a rubber plug in that hole?

IMG_1762.JPG

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

:(:(:(

Thanks Göran-- can you be more specific? Don't like the without-side-mounts look, or disappointed with the wheel/tire look?

Bruce

IMHO. I like the wheels but not without the side mounts. Maybe without the covers but with leather strapped mirrors on the wheels?

Hope You can lower the car some inches now that it did not get 19-21" rims? I´d like to see the wheels centered in rear wheel arc and car in straight level.

Waiting on Pepboys to call and say the spares are ready for pickup.

IMHO. I like the wheels but not without the side mounts. Maybe without the covers but with leather strapped mirrors on the wheels?

Hope You can lower the car some inches now that it did not get 19-21" rims? I´d like to see the wheels centered in rear wheel arc and car in straight level.

Good

DSCF0476.JPG

This is shot on a level street, not in my sloped driveway. Sorry the street is level, but the yard is sloped so the photographer is sloped...

DSCF0472.JPG

How the car looks to passerby at the curb

The rear arch and front arch are still more than I would prefer. To get more diameter from these wheels I could go to much higher sidewall tires from Coker -- they make a line of radial tires made to look like bias tires. One that fits on a 15x7 wheel has a total diameter of 29.9 inches! But it has a white sidewall, and they cost $280 ea. I went from 26.11" diameter (663.1 mm) to 27.11" diameter (688.5 mm) but that would take me up to 29.91" diameter (759 mm). I think that is equivalent to between a 205/90-15 and 205/95-15 aspect ratio.

american-classic-bias-look-radial-670r15

I also need to measure current ground clearance and then could put the 'cut' lower springs back in the front, or use the clearance to put the headers back in...

The engine is running smoothly, but there are lots of maintenance items needed there, so I will likely mark wheels/tires done for now and concentrate on the engine, paint, and other projects waiting for me.

Bruce

Göran do you mean like this Cadillac dual-cowl Phaeton side mount leather buckles and mirror? That would be interesting!

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=130747.0;attach=62581;image

Bruce

Bruce, maybe you have already done this, but mount your spares without the covers and see how that looks--drive around and get some feedback, take pictures of both. I did that when I got my new tires, and I liked the look, but my wife vetoed in favor of putting the covers back on. She who wrote the check for the car has the majority votes ("her" money and "our" money, but that's another thread).

Got the spares back from Pep Boys. The new wheels/tires are very snug in the spare slots, so I'm not putting the covers back on.

DSCF0477.JPG

I like the look anyway, but we'll see if I get over-ruled too.

DSCF0478.JPG

DSCF0479.JPG

Off to drive it and enjoy the sunny weather...

Bruce

I like the look. I was trying to figure out your center hub caps on those wheels. Is that a hole right in the center? If so, could you put a bolt through it or is the hole needed to access the lock screw? I say that because I just was looking at some 2-bar knock-off spinners on eBay, $28 for a set of four including the mounting bolts. Just add the spinners over your hub caps. these But like I said, the plain cap is a classy look.

Wish I could be off driving mine. Stormy weather and car waiting for driveline fix. Ah well, better weather and replacement part promised next week.

Edited by two2go

I like the look. I was trying to figure out your center hub caps on those wheels. Is that a hole right in the center? If so, could you put a bolt through it or is the hole needed to access the lock screw? I say that because I just was looking at some 2-bar knock-off spinners on eBay, $28 for a set of four including the mounting bolts. Just add the spinners over your hub caps. these But like I said, the plain cap is a classy look.

Wish I could be off driving mine. Stormy weather and car waiting for driveline fix. Ah well, better weather and replacement part promised next week.

yes, exactly so. The center is intended for either a 3" round medallion, or provides a mounting hole for a spinner.

525979133_o.jpg?nc=838

See this post ; I have ordered the 2-bar spinner you mention to see if it suits. If it does I'll perhaps need to order 4 more to get 2 for the spares, but we'll see.

Bruce

I like the look without the covers,but I prefer the car without sidemounts and have a single spare on the rear or no spare at all.These are small cars and and I think the spare anywhere on car the just clutters up the classic lines.Mine are staying on my car just because they are already there and it would be a lot body and paint work to eliminate them.Those spinners you show would look real nice with your wheels and add a nice finished touch.Very nice..

Rick

I would trade the weight of the sidemounted spares for the look but do I understand that they add a vintage flair. But that is another few horsepower I need to find from my Inline 4. The other styling issue is the wheel indents in the fenders.

i have 7" of ground clearance currently for planning.

Bruce

Knockoffs in the mail today: I think they are a good match for the wheels & Duke; what do you think?

DSCF0480.JPG

DSCF0481.JPG

DSCF0482.JPG

DSCF0483.JPG

Used up 3 of today's 4 on this side to see how they looked; have to order another 4 to fill in the other side & have some spares in case.

Bruce

It's magnificent. This does seem to complete the wheels part of the project. I don't see how to improve on that.

You say that the new tires are too big for the spare tire covers?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The news tires are 205/75-15 and the old were 205/75-14 so should be a similar width. However, the news tires without the covers are quite snug in the sidemount fender cutouts. So while I could perhaps fit the spare tire covers (intended for 195/75 tires) I choose not to. I also note that the spare tire covers had scraped the gelcoat along the sides of the spare tire cutouts, so squeezing them in isn't without cost so far.

My Wife remarked that she considered the spare covers to give a more 'old-timey' look for the Duke but also appreciated the look without. So I got a 'bye' on the change.

I find 2 spare tires and wheels redundant weight but accept it as a part of the Duke design/style. One historical Cadillac example I saw only carried tires, not wheels -- but perhaps of a type easier to mount on the roadside.

Bruce

Back in the days of high-profile bias-ply 16" tires, one could mount a tire by yourself with a tire iron. With a tube and a steel rim, it worked fine without damaging anything. With modern radial tires with steel cable rims and 75% profile, I would want a floor-mounted tire machine to mount the rims.

Of course, if you stay with well-traveled paved roads with your Duke, the odds of ever needing a spare are slim to none.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the previous wheel & tire ad with better pics of the tire treads per request:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/4484804192.html

DSCF0486.JPG

Bruce

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

First post here. Hoping some of you guys are still here. I bought an Antique & Classic SS100 replica(VW) last year to use for my wedding and it turned our great. I'm planning on keeping this car forever since it has sentimental values now and would like to make some improvements. Mainly would like to change the wheels/tires to a taller, more narrow setup. I really can't stand looking at the current setup... 

Has anyone been able to successfully do this for a reasonable price? I'm thinking Ford Model A 19'' wheels but I'm guessing I'll have to raise the car a little so it wont rub. Current tires are 195/75/15 (wheels are 5 bolt, 5"). I"m assuming this is the same setup as the VW Bug?

There is about 3" distance between the tires and fenders under load. Raising the car won't be an issue but the main thing will be finding the right wheels and fitting them on the hubs(or changing the hubs?). I see Frazer Nash replicas all the time with much more "period correct" wheels so I wonder if I should buy a beat-up one for 2k and take it's wheels... 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tyiu.jpg

DSC05205.jpg

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Edited by uphill

Welcome;. Looks like a nice example.  I guess the answer depends on how much you want to spend or what you consider reasonable.  Coker classic is making some nice replicas of bias ply tires.    The issue to me was once you get the right look the car will handle much worse (tall skinny tires) and the tires will be less safe and durable (bias ply vs radial).  

Bruce

39 minutes ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

Welcome;. Looks like a nice example.  I guess the answer depends on how much you want to spend or what you consider reasonable.  Coker classic is making some nice replicas of bias ply tires.    The issue to me was once you get the right look the car will handle much worse (tall skinny tires) and the tires will be less safe and durable (bias ply vs radial).  

Thanks Bruce! I don't plan on taking it on the highway or go over 45 mph anyway so I'm willing to give up some handling for a more authentic look. I actually just found a recently restored set of 19" Model A wheels with new tires on craigslist for $800 + shipping across country. I'm going to buy them and see what happens. I can always put them back on CL if things don't work out.

I think it's going to look kind of like the one way2go posted on the first page of this thread(also below), with the exception that mine will be almost touching the fender instead of the huge gap. Hopefully mine will not stick out of the fender as much either. Keeping fingers crossed. I'll update here if I make any progress in case someone else comes across this forum looking to do the same. 

1939-jaguar-ss100-roadster-replica-americanlisted_31236485.jpg