CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Duke SS100 Jaguar replica wheel choices

Oh Player Wheels went into liquidation last year -- so the ebay wheels may be nice just sellout stock

http://www.kikoauctions.com/?nav=auctions&details=3481

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you are buying sellout stock, I would still get them for the bargain but get an extra one or two to provide parts for the future, unless you want to use the fender-mounted spares for that. I find that it's almost impossible to match custom wheels after a couple of years even if the company is still going strong. That may not be true of these from other manufacturers but a spare wheel strikes me as a good idea with any custom wheel buy.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I went ahead and ordered 6 for this reason. I considered staying at 4 until I get them in and see, but not sure how many they have to unload. They have 3 more sets on offer (now 2.5?) but could have more in inventory.

Bruce

The thing to watch about wire wheels is that if they get curb damage or some such, the only remedy is replacement. That's OK to use for a covered spare.

I had my 1966 Corvette, with factory knock-off wheels, in the dealer for warranty work that involved adjusting the emergency brake. For some reason the techs did not read the owner's manual or find it in the FSM, and they didn't know to jack the wheel off the ground to knock off the hub. They couldn't get a rear wheel off because the left some weight on it to keep it from turning while they pounded on the spinner. They first destroyed the lead hammer in the tool kit that is provided to knock the hubs off and on, then destroyed the spinner, including prying out the center cover and looking through the hole (clear into the rear suspension!) looking for a key or lock or some such. Then they ruined the hub with a two-pound sledge, and put some major dings in the aluminum wheel and even a notch out of the rear fender with some misses. They called me and said that the wheel would *never* come off that car, and that I needed to make plans to get another car if it became necessary to get the wheel off to keep driving the car - say, for a flat tire. I picked up the remnants of the lead hammer, now about 25% of the mass of the soft lead hammerhead left, asked them to jack the wheel off the ground, and got the hub off with it in a few seconds.

They fixed the fender and gave me a new hub. They told me to just put the dinged wheel in the spare.

The spare in the 1997 ETC never came out of the trunk, except once the second day because I got a nail the first day I drove the car. I checked it before I sold the car, and it had essentially no air in it but it still had an original Goodyear RS-A on it. If you drive that car as carefully as I think you are, you will never be short of wheels if you get six, and two are covered spares. Just watch out for valet parking and such.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Fascinating if painful story Jim! Especially since they were factory knock-offs.

I don't anticipate the Duke Roadster will ever see a valet. I treat it more like a 4-wheel motorcyclist or cycle car and prefer not to take it where I can't see it while parked or it won't be kept inside (mechanic)

Bruce

That particular dealer was good to buy from and OK for routine maintenance, and excellent for parts, and the body shop was top-notch. But the service department was horrible. They knew it and worked on the problem but I don't know how it worked out, i.e. how long they took to solve the problem.

I didn't complain to GM about the wheel; I was young and didn't understand my rights and options and I felt that I was at the mercy of the largess of the service manager.

A few weeks later, when it threw the dedicated fan belt between the damper and the water pump, and they told me that it would take 90 days to repair, I called GM Customer Service; I got a call early the next morning that my car was ready.

I did crack open one of my side mounted spares and it has a very old 205/75-14 consistent with my road tires, which are mismatched brands but all the same size.

I am unsure if I prefer the side mount cases or the tire but staying with 205/75-15 tires would give a better chance to fit in the sidemounts.

Bruce

First 4 wheels arrived today. Hopefully the offset is not enough to get into the leaf spring in the rear:

DSCF0447.JPG

DSCF0443.JPG

DSCF0444.JPG

DSCF0446.JPG

I'll do a test fit of the wheel alone front and back, then have them over to Discount Tire for some rubber if that goes well.

Bruce

Spacers are an easy fix to adjust the offset. If you need to do that at all, find the steering axis spot where it will intersect the road at the riding height with the new wheels and adjust the offset to center the tire on it. You can get it by putting a little cat litter on the driveway, driving up on it, and turning the wheel a little both ways. Mark the car position and back off the spot, and the lime will have left you circular white arcs with the center where you want to center the tire. The angle from the lower ball joint to there gives you the axis to adjust for ride height.

Test fitted the new Player wheel on the rear of the Duke SS 100 with no issues, so ran over to Discount Tires in Plano to get some rubber. After waiting in line, buying tires, lugging the wheels in to get fitted, they shared that they were not willing to try to mount the tires on wire wheels. What? Waited while they refunded my purchase for new tires.

IMG_1752.JPG

Headed over to Pep Boys where they only had one type of tire in 205/75-15 size, but were happy to mount the tires on my new wire wheels while I wanted, load them back into my SUV, and off I went.

DSCF0452.JPG

First tire/wheel on the left rear of the Duke. These are 1" larger diameter than the previous, and are blackwalls instead of small whitewall stripe.

I was concerned that the rear wheels might stick out a bit beyond the fender -- the hubcaps it came with did also -- but the net effect is it looks like it means 'business'.

DSCF0453.JPG

This shows the center cap, which is close-fitted then has a single bolt and threaded hole to act as a retainer for the center cap.

DSCF0454.JPG

DSCF0455.JPG

One of the center caps arrived with a dent in it. I will write to the seller and see what they want to do before I try to hammer it out with a rubber hammer or similar.

On ebay la wire replacement center caps appear to be equivalent, but cost $40-$50 each.

DSCF0457.JPG

Overall these look tons better than the steel wheels / hub caps -- do you agree?

The 2 more wheels for the spares are coming via Fedex to follow.

DSCF0458.JPG

After the first test-cruise with my Wife aboard I discovered the bent center cap won't stay in place due to the not having a close fit. I took all the center caps off and set them aside for now.

DSCF0456.JPG

This is a poor / out of focus view but I actually like this look without the large chrome center cap -- it seems technical to me with the actual wheel hub / cap showing through.

However, if I want to run fake spinner center then I will need to thread them through those holes in the chrome center caps.

What do you think? Joel at Linear said 'Once you get new wheels it will transform this from a kit car look..." which is perhaps optimistic, but I do like the look of the new wheels/tires. Next to get the spares swapped.

Bruce

A few shows without the Chrome center caps to show that look:

DSCF0461.JPG

DSCF0471.JPG

DSCF0462.JPG

Riding wide...

DSCF0465.JPG

DSCF0460.JPG

DSCF0463.JPG

I got one vote from a neighbor who stopped over while I was taking pics -- he liked the chrome center caps in place much better.

This type of spinner appears to match these center caps:

$_12.JPG

Not perfectly like the original, but would be a 2-eared spinner.

Bruce

I think that transforming the look of the car is a fair assessment of what you achieved here. I do like the look with the center covers better. When you get the covers and the spares, with or without the two-ear spinners, you are done with the look. The fold-down windshield is a tiny little thing, maybe nice in the day of 45 mph drives in the European countryside but not to be missed.

I think that transforming the look of the car is a fair assessment of what you achieved here. I do like the look with the center covers better. When you get the covers and the spares, with or without the two-ear spinners, you are done with the look. The fold-down windshield is a tiny little thing, maybe nice in the day of 45 mph drives in the European countryside but not to be missed.

Good; thanks for commenting.

Bruce

Yes I can already tell I'm likely to be the only one attracted to the nuts and bolts look. No help from seller on the dented center cap so I will have to sort something out there. The la wire caps look to be the same but are pricey.

I tried putting ice on mine but don't have any dry ice handy to see if that would let it pop back into shape. It may be less noticeable on a spare, so we'll see after the spares arrive and get mounted

Bruce

I just did an online check and WalMart carries dry ice.

Took my rubber mallet to the center cap with a fold and got it most of the way fixed.

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

Still has a couple of dings in it but so far it stays snugly on the wheel when I drive the Duke.

Bruce

Nice bling Bruce..I also think it needs the caps.I'm not crazy about the baby moon look of the caps.I think they need some ribs or something to embellish them,but they at least make the wheels look complete.Adding the spinners would probably help too.Looking good.

Rick

Yes, the caps can either have the spinners, or a 3" medallion or emblem can be placed there in the center. I would like a nice 2-eared spinner, but a wine colored "SS" or "100" emblem would be interesting.

525979122_o.jpg?nc=348

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280779372730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I ordered a set of these to test and see if they look nice or not.

Bruce

The wheels are nice, and the plain chrome center covers are kind of classy. Knock-off spinners might just be the thing, though. I have had issues with Discount Tire service also. They are fine for new tires, but they absolutely don't deviate from their safe OEM-only policy. Discourage anything but same size replacement tire. No putting non-trailer tires on a trailer. Don't want to balance trailer tires. No big motorhome-size (22.5") tires or even working on them. Wal-Mart didn't even flinch mounting vastly different size tires on my wire rims.

The other 2 wheels arrived via Fedex today. Pep Boys has to move some tires around town to get them to my local store, so mounting delayed to after 5.

I took the Duke out for a 10-12 mile jaunt this morning at speeds up to 65 mph and the wheels stayed on the car, and the center hubs stayed on the wheels, so good there.

Posted the steel 14" wheels for sale here: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/4484804192.html

00y0y_6sotQ9VtlQW_600x450.jpg

Bruce

If it drives and steers OK, the offset is good. The acid test is a steady steering wheel on hard braking on a less-than-perfect surface.

I like the two-wing spinners. But, be careful that they live up to the wheels they are on, and don't look cheesy surrounded by all that high quality chrome spokes, hub and rim.

I like the two-wing spinners. But, be careful that they live up to the wheels they are on, and don't look cheesy surrounded by all that high quality chrome spokes, hub and rim.

That's my concern alright but we'll see. The wheels were inexpensive, but as hoped appear to be very nice -- just that the person is liquidating warehouse inventory I suppose.

Bruce