CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2006 STS remote start and trunk release button not working

Hello Cadillac Lovers!

I just picked up a 2006 STS V8, it only came with one remote. Everything on the remote works except remote start. And the trunk release (button on trunk) does not open the trunk. Might these two issues be related? When I press the trunk button I can hear a sound like a small electric motor turning for a second but it will not open. The remote trunk release works fine as well as the driver door button. The remote start will flash the lights after pressing lock button and the pressing remote start button but car will not start. The start button in vehicle works fine. Any ideas on where to look?

Go to Autozone and have the OBD codes read for you.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm a pretty good "hand" I checked into some of the issues listed in the manual, haven't been able to find root cause. I have a pretty good scan tool, might look into getting a nice GM service manual. I wirelessly put my Cadi on my machine (sorry, I just like saying that). I get good consistent info when I monitor my Cadi at idle and no trouble codes. This one has me beat.

No codes? I suspect that there is something with the RFA, the box that the fob talks to. You can test it all with the new fob to make sure that your existing fob is OK.

The code list that you are getting may not include the chassis codes, which will report any issues with the RFA. If you have any doubt, Autozone reads OBD II codes for free.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

no check engine warnings, I do not see any trouble indicators. I will take a closer look at the RFA and everything associated with it in a few days. I have a lot going on at work these days. Thank you all for the feedback!

Ok I have (I believe I have) found the issue preventing remote start. There are only 2 remotes allowed for that personalized feature, even though my remote is stamped 2 it is actually 3 and will not allow remote start. I have ordered a new remote 1, but I will only be able to program it as 4. There is a procedure for reprogramming a fob to position 1, something mentioned as an SI in service manual I picked up. Unfortunately I cannot find the procedure. Anyone know how to reset to fob 1?

This is from the GM DVD version service manual. The step numbers did not make the copy and paste.

Important: Do not operate or program the key fobs in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This will prevent the programming of the key fobs to the incorrect vehicle.

There are 3 methods for programming key fobs. Up to 4 key fobs may be programmed to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). Each programmed key fob is given a position of #1-#4 in the RCDLR memory.

A "known" key fob is one that has already been programmed to the vehicle. It is very important that the fob which is to be programmed is NOT placed into the console fob pocket until the DIC correctly displays the fob number that you wish to program to.

Method 1 - Adding, Replacing, or Invalidating Key Fobs (New RCDLR or Known Key Fob Available)
This procedure will add, replace, or invalidate all key fobs. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob available, a new/replacement key fob, the vehicles mechanical key, and a scan tool.

Method 1 is also used for the initial programming of fobs to a new replacement RCDLR. In this instance, the new RCDLR comes ready to learn the first key fobs introduced. Perform the learn procedure as outlined, with the exception that the new RCDLR does not require a known good key fob be placed within the interior of the vehicle.

Important: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Methods 2 or 3 must be used in this instance.

The vehicle must be OFF.
Place a known key fob and any new/replacement key fob(s) to be programmed in the cupholder inside the vehicle. DO NOT place any fobs in the console fob pocket at this time.
Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
⇒ If the DIC displays: OFF/ACC TO LEARN, the known fob has not been recognized. At this time, programming will revert to Method 2.

If the DIC is displaying the correct fob number that needs to be programmed, skip ahead to step 9.
If the DIC is not displaying the correct fob number that needs to be changed (i.e., the DIC is displaying: READY FOR FOB 3, and you wish to program FOB 1), use the scan tool to access the following:
• Vehicle Control Systems

• Computer/Integrating Systems

• Module Setup

• Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

• Program Key Fobs

Select the fob position you wish to program:

Important: Selecting Invalidate All Fobs will erase any known fobs and will cause the DIC to prompt READY FOR FOB 1, requiring all fobs to be relearned to the vehicle.

• Invalidate All Fobs

• Program Fob 1

• Program Fob 2

• Program Fob 3

• Program Fob 4

With the fob position selected, press the PROGRAM soft key on the scan tool. The DIC should display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 1, 2, 3 or 4, depending on the selected position)
With the DIC displaying the correct fob position that is to be programmed, place the new/replacement key fob in the console fob pocket with the buttons facing forward.
A beep will occur once the fob has been learned.
If programming additional key fobs and there is no DIC prompt that indicates READY FOR FOB X, repeat steps 7 and 8.
Exit programming mode by pushing the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch.
Important: Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the UNLOCK button of each key fob programmed will result in that fob being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is require to ensure transmitter operation.

Press the UNLOCK button on each key fob that was programmed to finalize the programming and confirm system operation.
Method 2 - Erasing/Adding Key Fobs (No Known Fob Available)
This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single key fob or multiple key fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have a replacement key fob and the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good key fobs within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 2. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob during Method 2 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

The vehicle must be OFF.
Place the new/replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward.
Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.
The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Repeat steps 5-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
At the end of the 30 minute cycle, a beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
Important: Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the UNLOCK button of each key fob programmed will result in that fob being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is require to ensure transmitter operation.

Press the UNLOCK button on each key fob that was programmed to finalize the programming and confirm system operation.
Method 3 - Service Programming System Fob Programming
This procedure is a 10-minute relearn procedure using the Techline Terminal with SPS software. Once the 10-minute timer has expired, the fobs can be programmed to particular positions or all known fobs can be erased. A scan tool, Techline Terminal, and a replacement key fob are required to perform this procedure.

Place the vehicle in the Vehicle On, Engine Off mode, if possible. If it cannot be turned ON, go to step 2.
Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
With a scan tool, select Request Info under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.
Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software.
On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Select "VTD Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn" under Component Replacement. Ensure that "Prepare RCDLR for key fob programming" is used.
Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.
At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10 minute relearn procedure.
When the 10 minute relearn procedure has completed, make sure the vehicle is OFF.
With the scan tool still connected, access the following:
• Vehicle Control Systems

• Computer/Integrating Systems

• Module Setup

• Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

• Program Key Fobs

Select the fob position you wish to program:

Important: Selecting Invalidate All Fobs will erase any known fobs and will cause the DIC to prompt READY FOR FOB 1, requiring all fobs to be relearned to the vehicle.

• Invalidate All Fobs

• Program Fob 1

• Program Fob 2

• Program Fob 3

• Program Fob 4

After the fob position selected, press the PROGRAM button on the scan tool. The DIC should display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 1, 2, 3 or 4, depending on the selected position)
With the DIC displaying the correct fob position that is to be programmed, place the new/replacement key fob in the console fob pocket with the buttons facing forward.
A beep will occur once the fob has been learned.
If programming additional key fobs and there is no DIC prompt that indicates READY FOR FOB X, repeat steps 12 and 13.
Exit programming mode by pushing the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch.

Logan Diagnostic you're awesome. I got it done, there is way to do it without a scan tool. The scan tool is much faster though. Thank you all for your help! And for all you novices such as myself here is a step by step with no scan tool required: Note I had to erase 3 fobs so 30 min.

-The vehicle must be OFF.

-Place the replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward.

-Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds .

-The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.

-Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.

-The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES , then it will count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.-When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.

-Repeat steps 5-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes .

-The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.-Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.

-A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 i-s programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.

-Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed.

-Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.

-If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.

-Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to finalize the programming sequence and verify correct system operation

Archived