CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 DeVille, Check Engine Light Soon

Hey Guys,

Check Engine Soon msg still present and code points to Cyl #4 again. Suggestions have been made to swap the #4 plug and boot with another cylinder and see if the problem follows. Or, swap the front coil with the back coil and see if the problem follows. I've previously relplaced the plug and boot on cyl #4 and the problem has returned. Am I safe to assume now that the problem is the coil?

I was told I could purchase a used coil that has been tested as good and save some $$$ vs. buying new for around $140.00. Any comments would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, although there are two Crank Case Position Sensors in this car, I'm reluctant to get too far from home with it, or drive it too often until I put this problem to rest.

Thanks for any help from out there.

Steve M.

SMihaly137@aol.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

Check Engine Soon msg still present and code points to Cyl #4 again. Suggestions have been made to swap the #4 plug and boot with another cylinder and see if the problem follows. Or, swap the front coil with the back coil and see if the problem follows. I've previously relplaced the plug and boot on cyl #4 and the problem has returned. Am I safe to assume now that the problem is the coil?

I was told I could purchase a used coil that has been tested as good and save some $$$ vs. buying new for around $140.00. Any comments would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, although there are two Crank Case Position Sensors in this car, I'm reluctant to get too far from home with it, or drive it too often until I put this problem to rest.

Thanks for any help from out there.

Steve M.

SMihaly137@aol.com

Have you swapped any of the components? Swap the boot first to see if the miss follows the suspect boot. If it does, the boot is the problem. If the miss stays with #4, then swap the coil cassettes to see if the miss moves to the opposite bank of cylinders (#5?) then you know the issue is in the coil. I would not recommend throwing a coil cassette at it until it is proven that it is the issue.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hey Listers,

I'm awaiting a response regarding the need to swap the front and rear coils to isolate the cause of the

mis-fire code I keep getting.

History: Previously kept getting bad Crank Case Position Sensor (CPS) Code on my wife's 2000 Deville. Replaced the CPS's twice within 6 months; second time I elected to use OEM CPS's. That code went away for about four months and I'm now getting mis-fire message on Cyl. #4, same cylinder as the CPS error codes I was getting earlier.

Question: Given these circumstances, is there any point in going through the exercise of swapping the

coils? I'm inclined to just replace the front coil?

Concerned about a break down, and until I get this resolved, I'm reluctant to allow the wife to drive the car and am eagerly awaiting some good advice on this from our knowledgeable Lister,s out there.

Thanks much for any advice offered.

If you are not getting any CPS codes now, or any other codes like mixture codes (lean on bank 1, etc.), AND you have tried a new plug and also moving the boot to another cyclinder, then it's time to trade coils and see if the miss moves to the back bank.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Jim,

Thanks much for the prompt reply. As I stated before, I did change the boot and plug on Cyl. # 4 a while back and the CPS Code went away. A few months later the Misfire Code appears. I'm going to check the codes once more.

It just appeared to me that swapping the coils was work I didn't want to go through; I'm not getting any younger, have difficulty bending over the engine, and pretty much have to impose on my son to come by the home to do stuff like that. It just seemed too coincidental that a second, but different Code and incident popped up on Cyl #4, suggesting to me that it was, in fact the coil.

Again, I do appreciate you hanging in there with me on this.

Thanks much.

Steve in MD

SMihaly137@aol.com

• 1 year later...

Dear Friends,

I started this post back in 2014 and seriously followed up on all suggestions. Today, Service Engine Soon and cylinder miss trouble Code still appear. This 2000 Deville still runs smooth, like a Swiss watch, no miss, and consistently good gas mileage Most recent mechanic told me to just wait it out. Car now has about 30K on a new engine that was installed about six years ago to resolve oil leak.

Wish me continued luck, and thanks for all the responses.

Steve M.

Maryland

If you have no readability complaints, the SES light doesn't cause a problem with emissions inspections, and you and your tech don't see an engine wear/damage problem, then waiting for the problem to become easier to diagnose is a good strategy.

If now is the time, I didn't go through the whole thread but if you haven't looked at a fuel injector balance test, this is something else you can do using an analyzer without turning a wrench.

I would follow KHE's advice and look at the miss counts with an engine analyzer, reset the codes and switch the coils, then check the miss counts again if the SES/miss codes reappear. If the miss doesn't follow the coil, I would do a compression test.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hey Jim,

Thanks so much for the 'as usual' prompt (and reliable) response. Also always comforting to know you're still out there and active.

I'm pretty much useless now as far as taking on any physical chores so I'll convey your thoughts to my Indy and see if we get any results.

I may have told you a while back, I purchased, and my son did reverse and install a new coil. Unfortunately, trouble light returned after only several miles of driving. Perplexing!

I've been quite ill the past four months, and neither car is being driven often except for hospital stays and Doc visits, so the car problem has taken a low priority. I now rely on one of my children for transportation, and also still have the 2007 DTS in addition to the 2000 DeVille which still looks and runs great (except for the Ck. Engine. Light nuisance. Both cars are always garage kekpt, and I used to enjoy doing the detailing myself in the past. Unfortunately, I never did get to paint the grill on the Diamond White 2000 to match the car as I'd planned; I thought that would have been quite an enhancement. The 2007 sure is a "Black Beauty", and so very comfortable; and, I can lay down in the back seat if necessary! Like you, I so much looked forward to a nice 'Road Trip'k inthe car but procrastinated too long this time.

Take care, and thanks so much for all your kind assistance over the years.

Steve Mihaly

Davidsonville, MD 21035

Steve, if I am not mistaken you have coil packs on that 2000 is that correct?

I would pull the plug and inspect it for carbon tracking on the porcelain. If you are still getting the miss in #4, it is possible that you disturbed the carbon track and now its back. Have a look at the plug too.

If that doesnt turn up anything you could swap in a known good coil pack. Get one from a scrap yard or car-parts.com to diagnose with.

That said, you could have it put on a scope to test the coil output by a good auto diagnostics shop with a scope.

Hope you are feel better, turning 63 this year my body hurts like hell, I am going to be tested for Lyme Disease. If you were nearby I would take a look at it for you. Hope this helps, and I hope you feel better, Sir

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 10 months later...

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.  What a pleasant surprise.  Drove wife's 2000 DeVille this AM and, after two years of staring at the  amber "Check Engine Soon" message on the dash, it was gone!

Some of you may have followed my initial, (05 /07/2014), and numerous repeated posts on the subject CHECK ENGINE SOON, or were kind enough to respond with advice and suggestion.  To those folks I want to offer my deepest appreciation for your indulgence and responses with suggestions. Unfortunately, the quick and easy solution:  "Make sure the gas cap is securely tightened" suggestion didn't work.  And, until a few days ago, no one mentioned to "Inspect" the gas cap, . . . . . and  the condition of the gasket! 

After contending with the threatening warning message for so long, I elected to follow the advice of the young guy at the local auto parts store who is experiencing the same issue; "Live with it"!  I've done so until a few days ago when I was chatting with my new neighbor, once a mechanic and now owner of a used car business.  He admired the condition of the wife's Diamond White, 2000 DeVille,  and inquired how it was running.  When I mentioned the 'Ck Eng. Soon Message', he proceeded to pull the gas cap and the tender strap from the car.  Assuming  he was merely checking to see if the cap was securely attached, I wasn't expecting any 'revelations'; I religiously twist the cap 7 times when reinstalling the cap.  I was not expecting him to approach me, gas cap and tender strap in hand, and point to some verym, very fine cracks in the gasket on the cap, a condition I never looked for and that my 82 year old eyes had failed to detect when giving the gas cap a quick inspection. The next day I cleared any codes and installed a new OEM gas cap; $19.95 from Auto zone.  After rechecking the codes only the following now remain: IPM B0429, IRCU 016 History and PCM P0300.  My wife then drove the car for approx. 8 miles before the Ck. Eng. Soon message reappeared.   darn!  

The following day when I started the car, the warning message was gone and has not presented again after driving approximately 110 miles.  Car is running like a fine Swiss watch, I'm keep my fingers crossed, and I'm very much relieved that this may have resolved my problem.

A few weeks ago I also posted that, on only one recent occasion, I had a 'Check Theft System' message appear. A suggestion made by the dealer regarding this message was to try a different ignition key!   That message has not reappeared and I don't know where it has gone! 

Fortunately, the cause of my  Check Eng. Soon warning message has (so far) not appeared to have been serious enough to cause damage to the CAT or other components of the engine over the years, many of which I had been cautioned about on The List.  My rationale was that I didn't want to keep throwing $$$ at the 2000 car with 120K on the odometer without some assurance that an expensive repair may or may not resolve the problem.  The dealer, and too many qualified mechanics were offering too many 'possibilities' that needed to be 'explored'.

Sorry for the long dissertation here, but I did want to inform our serious Lister's of the resolution, and thank everyone involved for their continued patience with me regarding this annoying problem that has turned out well.  

Happy Easter Everyone!

Pgh Steve

Nice detailed report.  There have been a few discussions on how the keys or tumbler can be come worn over time, but WD40 can be used to attempt to clean the inside of the tumbler -- coat the key, insert, wipe, coat, insert, wipe.  

Sometimes mechanics are funny -- they observe that a used car is not new and suggest replacement of all parts until the 'used' condition is cured!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

3 hours ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

Nice detailed report.  There have been a few discussions on how the keys or tumbler can be come worn over time, but WD40 can be used to attempt to clean the inside of the tumbler -- coat the key, insert, wipe, coat, insert, wipe.  

Sometimes mechanics are funny -- they observe that a used car is not new and suggest replacement of all parts until the 'used' condition is cured!

The 2000 will have the transponder type key - no contacts or wires in the steering column to mess with.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived