CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How can I clean fuelfilter in the fueltank Caddy-54?

ejje

I Think the filter in the fueltank are full of mud. How can I Clean? Can I use compressed air?

I think it might just be time to pull the tank (and clean it as well as filter maintenance); I guess it depends on how bad it is, but "full of mud" gives me recourse to think a major cleaning is in order.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I would start with parts cleaner and soaking overnight. Carburetor cleaners tend to destroy plastics. Gasoline can be a fire hazard that seeks out a hot water heater next door if you leave it open too long.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have cleaned and now I´m waiting for new parts from US for the fuelpump.

You can not take away the filter from the tank.

There is no plastic. Only real steel.

I would use a toothbrush with carburetor cleaner. A auto parts store will have something better than a toothbrush, particularly if the filter is recessed or otherwise hard to reach with a toothbrush. And, I've seen some toothbrushes dissolve in carburetor cleaner.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I would use a toothbrush with carburetor cleaner. A auto parts store will have something better than a toothbrush, particularly if the filter is recessed or otherwise hard to reach with a toothbrush. And, I've seen some toothbrushes dissolve in carburetor cleaner.

Hi Jim,

Now I was curious, where do I use the toothbrush?

The filter in the tank can not be accessed. Assembled before the assembly of the tank. As before, I have cleaned the tank and blow the filter clean with compressed air.

Thanks for your good efforts to help. :)

You can get small brushes like bottle cleaners or even pipe cleaners for use in cleaning carburetors. If you are satisfied with the filter now, leave it alone. If you are not, you can try compressed air or look at the carburetor brushes at a parts shop. Here's an example:

6161MSSLDFL._AA1500_.jpg

If you are indeed seeing mud, its more likely to be rust deposits from...... The inside of the tank walls Those old steel tanks are tricky. You might be safer taking the tank to be cleaned and treated (if funds allow) otherwise you might end up with constant fuel flow problems, and/or a leaky tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I can tell what´s in the tank. First, there is no filter so nothing to clean.

The tank inside all new, no rust, no mud.

Fuel pipe is attached to the bottom of the tank.In the end of the tube is a small washer with two small holes. Maby you can call the washer a filter.

Now I took away the washer so now the pipe is open.

If the car don´t go now I do not know what to do.

When I bypass the tank and take gasoline from a can car runs perfectly.

post-13304-0-22003800-1400341830_thumb.j

post-13304-0-10634800-1400341831_thumb.j

Started up after cleaning and control. The engine stopped after one hour. The pump stopped give petrol. After 2 min ok.

No damage at the hoses, all new.

I wonder if it might be the pump rod? I'll check.

Was there a vacuum in the tank when you took off the fuel cap? A stopped up vent in the filler neck or gas cap can cause the engine to die after some time of driving.

Vent in the filler neck and gas cap are open.I have driven without cap. As I said , hoses new, pipe open. It must be the pump. I take the rod and pump away today and check it again.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? I believe that it is supposed to be at least 4.5 psi (31 kPa).

Now i did a new check. Mont a transparent hoses after the pump. After about 30 min it started with air bubbles. After 60 min no petrol. I think it´s the diafragma. It´s new but it was very thin and soft .I believe that the membrane becomes too soft when the pump gets hot. Cheap quality.China crap.

I have ordered a new original pump. Will install on Friday.

If it's the fuel pump diaphragm, check for gas in the oil.

I took apart the pump again and checked the membran, I found 3 small hole. I put back the very,very old original membrane and the car run over two hour then vapor lock started, I switch to the electric pump for short and then the pump startet go again.

Now I will try mont a return pipe from pump to tank. But I do not know exact how to do that. I have to find right filter and then see where I can install. Maby some one have good advice?

Archived