CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

They don't break like they used to.....Neighbors 2005 STS with cracked side window.

I think these have a laminate inside.

Ordered a used one today for $65 plus $25 shipping.

Also crazy...smart phones with cameras that take fantastic pictures.

post-2-0-66889500-1396476518_thumb.jpg

Yikes - I thought those windows were supposed to shatter like a normal tempered glass would. That looks like it could hurt someone.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yeah...not what I was expecting to see.

It's a single mom down the street...she called. I was expecting the window to be in a thousand pieces. Hence going to look at it first...and the pic and post.

Car has been on a 500 mile trip back from where the damage happened...and has been thru a car wash.

It's more like a windshield...stable...but the cracking is getting worse.

Best price from a local glass shop was about $250 installed. Found a used one for $65 plus $25 shipping.

Side glass is more expensive than a windshield. Windshields are made to be replaced, with everything just stuck on. Side glass requires competent automotive surgery. Glass that moves is the worst.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

IMO...a lot easier to change a side window vs. a windshield. Maybe an hour job. Done it before.

IMO...a lot easier to change a side window vs. a windshield. Maybe an hour job. Done it before.

Definitely easier for a side window. I watched a guy at the glass shops change a windshield on my old Park Avenue - what a PITA... getting through the adheshive, cleaning everything out including glass pieces in the interior, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Being the glass is still in one piece...should make it even easier. No need to clean up 10,000 pieces of glass inside the car.

post-2-0-07920700-1396542975_thumb.jpg

So, when some high school kid celebrating a sports victory smashed the driver's window of my 1969 Chevrolet in 1975, the $450 that it cost to replace it was too much? I hate that.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Two years ago, I had the windshield AND passengers side window replaced in my 2006 Chevy van for just a little over 500 bucks, and the guy came out and did it in my driveway.

The entire job was done in about an hour...

Posted Image

At the time I thought tinted, tempered glass (yes, a million pieces all about 3 mm pebbles), curved, electric window, and like new afterward, price maybe a little high but not exorbitant. I don't recall where I had it done but I believe that I left it at a body shop and picked it up the same day, or possibly waited for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Got around to installing the used glass today. Hour job tops...

Picture shows door panel coming off.

post-2-0-21275900-1398442369_thumb.jpg

Two clamps hold the window in. Window is rolled about half way down to access. 10mm.

post-2-0-29599700-1398442436_thumb.jpg

Follow up....the glass itself is labeled 'laminated' ....hence the windshield like crack.

Pros...

Glass was cracked maybe a month ago. Still in one piece and the car was drivable. No need to 'fix it today'.

No need to clean 10,000 tiny pieces of glass out of the car or from inside the door.

post-2-0-12808600-1398454132_thumb.jpg

I guess that laminated safety glass stops smash-and-grab and delays forced entry, so it's probably a good thing. Before side glass was curved, all the side glass was laminated.

Must be a Cadillac and maybe a few Buicks thing.

Our '09 Traverse windows clearly show 'tempered' glass.

Must be a Cadillac and maybe a few Buicks thing.

Our '09 Traverse windows clearly show 'tempered' glass.

My 2006 Chevy had tempered glass... the kind that broke into a million pieces.

I had someone break the passengers side window.

I was still finding pieces of glass six months later.

Posted Image

I guess that laminated safety glass stops smash-and-grab and delays forced entry, so it's probably a good thing. Before side glass was curved, all the side glass was laminated.

Another reason is QUIETNESS...

Posted Image

Archived