CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

10 SRX water leak under the glovebox

My 10 SRX has water leaking on to the floorboard under the glove box. I have heard that the drain tube comes off for the sunroof and can be reconnected. Does anyone have a clue as to how to do this?

Typically water leaking RIGHT THERE is a sign of a stopped up AC drain hose...

Look up under the car... right where the bottom of the firewall is and you will see the hose sticking down just a little bit.

Take a small screwdriver or a piece of stiff wire, like a coat hanger and clean the end of the of hose out.

Posted Image

WELL, THAT OUGHT TO MAKE IT EASY TO FIND!!!

Ahem.

Have someone hose the car while you are looking under the dashboard with a flashlight and see if you can find out where the water is coming from. Possible sources include, but are not limited to: windshield, front of passenger side door weatherstripping, a firewall pass-through, or a small dog.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I don't know why the type came out bold, I wasn't trying to over emphasize it, I can feel wires and such up under there but I hate to start taking things apart before I know where it is I am trying to get to. I can feel water up there and I can see basically where the water comes out on the towel I put down there when it rains to stop it from going onto the floor. I was hoping someone had a how to on what it is that I am trying to get to how I might stop the water.

I looked on the SI DVD and didn't see anything on water leaks. I suggest that you take it to a body shop and ask them to look at it.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I tried looking for a You Tube how to but didn't find anything on it there either. I think I'll try taking some things apart down there and see what I can find. Strangely enough it rained today and it didn't leak a drop.

I tried looking for a You Tube how to but didn't find anything on it there either. I think I'll try taking some things apart down there and see what I can find. Strangely enough it rained today and it didn't leak a drop.

Murphy at work. Use a hose!

I can see where the water comes out already, I need to see how to reattach the drain hose and a guy was telling me that it's up off of the A pillar. He said that I need to pull the trim piece off and it connects down in the corner by the windshield.

2010_SRX_Sunroof_Front_Drain.png

1. Attachment points on the windshield pillar.
2. Sunroof drain spigot.
3. Drain hose and grommet.
4. Drain hose.

Note that the figure seems to put it on the driver's side. That doesn't prove to me that it isn't on the passenger side on your car.

There's probably one on the passenger side as well, at least I know that there's a drain up there.

There are two sunroof drains, a front and a rear. The front drain comes down one side or the other. My DI DVD FSM shows both on the passenger side, which doesn't make sense to me because if there are just two I would put them opposite each other.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem in my 2011 SRX. Common problem is the sunroof drain - the hose is too short and it vibrates out. Your dealer will know about it - insist they pay for it even if out of warranty.

If you are handy, this is easy to check (but hard to fix) - pop off the interior panel on the front A-pillar (the A-Pillar is the post between the windshield and the door). You can pry it off with your hands, no tools needed. After it is off you will see some wires and a white plastic tube about 1/2" diameter. That white tube runs from the sunroof drain channel in the roof (one of several) down the A-pillar into the firewall just below the dashboard at the very bottom corner of the windshield. It has a black rubber fitting that fits into a hole in the firewall and that is what pops out. So when it rains, the water runs down the top of the glove box, drips on the carpet in the passenger footwell. This is a big issue as it runs right over the electronics and the ECM - this will cause BIG problems if not fixed (aside from the inevitable damp stink).

If you use a flashlight and peer from the outside of the car in the corner of the windshield on top of the dash you can see how it connects (you must remove the A pillar cover first). It is extremely difficult (impossible) to use your hands and pop the fitting back into the firewall. You can either disassemble the dash or like I did make a long bent special tool to push the black boot/tube back in. Tip - use some dish soap as a lubricant.

To test the if this is your problem just tape the entire sunroof gap from glass to roof all around to seal it. Hose the car and if the problem is gone, you found your problem.

:welcomesmiley:

And, thanks for the information!

• 2 weeks later...

My local Cadillac dealer acts like they have never heard of the leak onto the passenger foot well from the sunroof, and don't care anything about finding out. I can't figure out where the tube reattaches so I called a local body shop that I've had do some work on both my daily drivers and a Corvette that I have for fun and they can do it. It goes in Tuesday and they say it's easier if they pull some of the dash apart.

See previous post #11 on this thread for a FSM diagram of the front sunroof drain for the SRX. The picture seems to show it on the driver's side but the guy who had the problem and opened this thread has his on the passenger side.

See previous post #11 on this thread for a FSM diagram of the front sunroof drain for the SRX. The picture seems to show it on the driver's side but the guy who had the problem and opened this thread has his on the passenger side.

Yep mine is on the passenger side. I've had the A pillar cover off and looked at it. That diagram is a CTS or something but not a SRX.

The figure is the one in the 2010 FSM for the SRX, though. I suppose that they do that when there isn't enough difference to inconvenience the tech. From what I hear, this is essentially a mirror image of a front sunroof drain on your SRX, or possibly the arrow is misleading and the windshield is on the left of the illustrated A pillar and not on the right. I hope it helps. If yours is different from the installation inside the A pillar trim, let me know.

There is a warning in the installation section:

Note: Verify proper engagement of the grommet to cowl panel to prevent a water leak.

I took it to a body shop today and they removed part of the dash and got it reconnected. Charged me $120.00 but it was worth it to get it done. He said that they had to thread the drain hose back down because SOMEBODY had pull it out. I didn't tell him that it was me!

Congratulations. A victory is a victory.

It rained about 2" here yesterday and my car didn't leak a drop! Yep, I can chock it up as a little victory!

Case closed! Thank you for the come-back.

• 5 months later...

I had a water leak under the glove compartment of my 2010 SRX took it to dealer and they told me that it was caused by the sunroof drain tube being clogged (62,000 miles). They told me that they had to unclug the drain hose, remove carpet and dry out car which would cost me $900 dollars. I told them to just get rid of the clog and I would take care of the water $500. Now almost 2,000 miles later my rear liftgate will not open and the dealer is telling me that my rear sunroof drainage tube wear clogged resulting in water damage to my rear liftgate pump and module. With an estimated cost of $2,500 to repair.

Archived