CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello from Jax, FL

jaxeagle

Hello, pardon the duplicate post from vnet and cadillacforums but I am not yet sure which forums are most active so I wanted to drop in on each forum.

I am considering becoming a STS-V owner. I have considered a number of cars but the STS-V seems to have a balance of many facotrs I am looking for. Anyway, I have done some internet searches and not quickly found answers to a few basic questions, newby questions at that so I hope it's ok that I ask them here. Please feel free to answer just one or more. Again, thanks for putting up with another newby.

1) What, if any, differences are there between '08 and '09 STS-V's? My guess is none but if they are any I would like to know what they are regardless of how minor they might be.

2) If you are familiar with the G8 Panther Black Metallic or the TBSS Black Granite Metallic, how would you compare the Black Raven paint code? On photos it appears to be hi gloss but less metallic then the others mentioned. Is that true?

3) Why did the STS-V go with the Northstar platform when CTS-V went to the LS platform a few years earlier? I am sure it is a long answer so the short version is fine. The STS-V isn't simply a S/C version of the regular STS V8, correct?

4) If you have also driven a G8 GT or GXP, how do you compare the low end drivability between the G8 and STS-V? I don't mean which car is capable of more power at full build or which car would win 1/4 mi race, but rather how do the manners in around town driving compare.

5) I know the fuel economy rating for the car but I am curious what people are actually getting with their STS-V's, both stock and modded. Of course I am not looking for a fuel efficient car, but down in the range of the cars I am considering, a few mpg's might be a positive in the favor of one car or another. Of course driving style is a big variable part in the equation but I mean with that aside?

6) I assume there is no backup camera on even the last couple models of STS-V. i see there wasn't in '07 but i don't find anything clear on the 08-09. I assume no backup cam? Not a big deal, I'm just curious.

7) Is there a USB connection or only standard aux jack?

Thanks much! I would love to become an owner/member of the forum if I can find the right car.

Jax

Our host, Bruce, drives a 2008 STS-V. I've ridden in his car but not driven it, and I drive a CTS-V. I can answer a few of your questions.

The early CTS-V uses a normally aspirated 6.2 liter V8 in a stern sports suspension with a manual six-speed transmission, no automatic available; horsepower is a little over 400. It existed primarily as a public offering to justify racing versions as modified production cars, and as a street car, it was not for everyone. The STS-V is a daily driver car, six-speed automatic only, with a head-up display and other high-end premium features. Although it has a world-class handling chassis and suspension, its electronic active suspension make it very comfortable on the street.

The STS-V engine is a very high-tech concept. Although it is a Northstar, its design is from a clean sheet of paper and shares no major parts with the 4.6 liter. It is a 4.4 liter engine with variable valve timing, independently varied on intake and exhaust. Torque is essentially flat from off-idle to redline. It is rated at 465 SAE hp. Bruce's car has a feel much like that of my 2011 CTS-V.

There was no 2008 CTS-V because the new supercharged 6.2 liter LSA driveline coupled with an all-new chassis wasn't ready; it was still being fine tuned at Nuremberg past the point of shooting the engineer and going to production for the 2008 model year. The 2009 CTS-V with 556 SAE hp was timed with a 7:28 lap time, still a record for a stock mass produced four-door sedan. It's a mild tune, again with essentially flat torque from off-idle to redline, but with far more displacement. It doesn't use VVT. It's also a daily driver design but doesn't have the HUD or some of the other perks of the STS-V. This is NOT the Corvette motor de-tuned but is more of a descendant of the Escalade 6.2 liter, the earlier CTS-V 6.2 liter, and the STS-V supercharged engine. The suspension uses electronic tuning to a degree that makes it very comfortable on the street.

I could speculate about why Cadillac chose the 6.2 liter LS for the supercharged CTS-V instead of a new Northstar but I think you want facts, not speculation.

Bruce can tell you more about the particulars of the STS-V colors and accessories.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

1. Minimal; 08 was an interior refresh and 09 the wrapup. 08 was first year for heads-up display.

2. Uncertain

3. The lc3 dohc vvt 4.4L supercharged northstar in the STS-V was likely selected / developed for the STS-V due to greater refinement. It offered 469 hp when the ls2 sbc made 400 hp. Each lc3 engine was made by hand by a technician at the Wixom tech center and is signed by the builder. It is a bespoke engine to the xlr-v & sts-v.

4. Uncertain

5. i generally get 21-23 highway mpg, so generally more than epa rating

6 no backup cam 2008 but good visibility out back

7 2008 has audio and video plugs in center console but no usb

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you want to mod your Cadillac, shop for the 2007 CTS-V with 400 hp LS2 (15-25) or the 2009 CTS-V with 556 hp LSA V8 (35-40). The way the 2nd gen CTS-V has held its value is testament to desirability.

The STS-V has some limited aftermarket but nothing like the small block chevy tuning and parts available.

If you want a fast, relatively rare Cadillac with HUD, lane change warning, etc the STS-V is a fine automobile. They are a bit harder to find due to lower numbers sold. As with all used cars, condition and documented maintenance & care will drive value.

What are the 08/09s running now?

Bruce

Quick cars.com STS-V search:

2006 $15-36K

2007 $18-29K

2008 $18-28K

2009 $28-33K

Kbb.com suggests $18K is the right range for a 2008 STS-V w 80K miles by comparison, increasing to $21K or so for one like mine w fewer miles (57K), private party sale.

Bruce

If you want to mod your Cadillac, shop for the 2007 CTS-V with 400 hp LS2 (15-25) or the 2009 CTS-V with 556 hp LSA V8 (35-40). The way the 2nd gen CTS-V has held its value is testament to desirability.

The STS-V has some limited aftermarket but nothing like the small block chevy tuning and parts available.

If you want a fast, relatively rare Cadillac with HUD, lane change warning, etc the STS-V is a fine automobile. They are a bit harder to find due to lower numbers sold. As with all used cars, condition and documented maintenance & care will drive value.

What are the 08/09s running now?

THanks! I might do minor mods but nothing major. I save that for my Vette. I prefer the size of the STS over the CTS and I don't want a first gen CTS because I want an auto.

Both the STS and the CTS are on the same platform. They are the same size car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

STS-V does have the 116.4" wheelbase compared to CTS-V 113.4". 2nd gen CTS-V on "Sigma II" while STS-V on Sigma I; I agree very similar platforms.

A bit more info on platforms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Sigma_platform#Sigma_II

Bruce

Archived