CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a 1996 Cadillac DeVille Concour Sedan with a 4.6 Liter 8 Cylinder Northstar Engine that has 74,389 miles on it. Recently, it started leaking coolant approximately under the front center of the car. I applied a product called BARS LEAKS RADIATOR HEAVY DUTY LEAKS additive and it worked for about two months. The problem arised again recently and I did the same thing but the results was unsuccessful. The tank had become half filled with these pellets and now the coolant is leaking at a much faster rate then before. I was wondering if there is a way to replace the leading tube on the bottom to keep the cost down or if I have to replace the entire system all together? I have low a/c compressor readings when I try to turn the fan on to keep it from overheating while I'm driving but that fails. The highest temperature ever recorded while driving is 258°. It still purrs like a cat without any engine noise but I noticed that more coolant LEAKS out when it's in idle. Can someone Please help me? I don't want to have to sell HER.

Without more information, it is hard to pinpoint where it's leaking at.

Have you LOOKED to see where it is leaking at?

My first guess, and it JUST A GUESS, is the water pump.

If so, it is fairly easy to replace.

Posted Image

hopefully not one of the pipes at the back side of the engine. could use some more info.

Welcome To Caddyinfo Forum

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Leak under the "front center of the car" as described in th eoriginal post would seem to indicate a leak at the radiator but some visual inspection is required.

If the Bars Leaks was added to the surge tank and not the lower radiator hose, it may have plugged the purge line.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thank you guys so much (rockfangd & Texas Jim) but KHE was right. The pellets actually clogged all circulation through the system. I removed the hose leading to the radiator, poured coolant into it, burping it in between and reconnected the hose back to the engine. Then I turned it on along with the heater on full blast at 90° and poured the remaining antifreeze coolant into the reservoir tank. After running the engine for 5 minutes, I noticed the temperature only rose to about 201°! She's been running GREAT ever since! Thank you so much for the help!

GOD BLESS Y'ALL!!!

Glad you fixed it. The pellets need to be added to the lower radiator hose since there is little circulation through the surge tank. If they're added to the surge tank, they can clog the purge line and the engine will overheat.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

exactly. I pull the radiator hose on the driver side and add them there. I would verify your purge bolt is not plugged. located on the driver side engine strut mount

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived