CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS Inoperable Driver Door

I purchased a 2005 Cadillac STS just over a year ago and have had a problem with my driver’s side front door not responding to the fob or pulling on the handle. This has occurred intermittently over the past 6 to 8 months. At first, it would only occur during the heat of the day ( I live in Phoenix, Arizona) but now this happens more frequently and any time of the day.
When I approach the door I can hear the electronics of the vehicle “kick in” from under the hood. If I press the “open” button on the fob, all of the other 3 doors open but there is no sound from the driver’s door. It is the same if I pull on the handle: all of the other 3 doors open but there is no sound from the driver’s door.
I have done plenty of research on the issue and it appears that there are numerous Cadillac STS owners (as well as other models) experiencing this same issue.
I first tried replacing the batteries in the fobs but nothing changed.
I also tried disconnecting the battery overnight but it still did not correct the issue.
To tackle what I read is the most common repair, I purchased a new “Housing Kit” from GMPartsGiant.com (least expensive after reaching extensively) for $80 plus shipping. The part number is 19120306. This is the housing that goes on the inside of the door assembly that has the internal mechanical door latch and the wiring and the micro switches that connects to the door handle. There are a couple of YouTube videos that can help with the removal of the old unit and re-installation.
The real tricky part of installing the new “housing is sliding forward and locking the external door handle into the housing. My impatience with installing it the first time caused me to break the actuators so use caution and practice on your existing unit as the videos suggest. It will save you having to get a replacement part and $95.
On my second attempt with the new “housing” I replaced it successfully but the front door still performed the same.
I then purchased a used door handle assembly from State Auto Salvage in Homestead, Florida. These handle assemblies are hard to come by. The part and shipping totaled $50.
I was hoping that the issue could be the antennae in the existing handle have become faulty. I again tore down the door assembly and replaced everything with the used handle assembly I had purchased and still no difference.
It was strange though that when I sprayed electronics cleaner on the micro switches and allowed them to dry, the worked for a brief period of time. This happened with both the new housing and the used housings I had installed.
I did notice that when I am inside the care and the window button is pressed to close it normally the window raises all of the way to the top automatically. But, when the door handle is working properly, the window button needs to be held to get the window to close completely.
I am not sure if this is related to my problem but it sure is strange.
I don’t know if it is hocus pocus but I have even tried unhooking the battery cables and holding the positive and negative ends together for 15 minutes to reset all of the modules in the vehicle but still no change.
The final option I have is to replace the driver’s door module if that is not functioning correctly.
I was hoping there is an experienced technician somewhere who has already been through this process and can give me some advice.
Should I focus on the driver’s door module next?
Is there anything else I should look at?

• 10 months later...

Archived