CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Blend Door Actuator sticking ?? 2005 DeVille

skyman

I get plenty of air volume coming out but...the two dash vents for the passenger side are nice and cold but the two vents for the drivers side and the back seat pasengers are not. When I first turn on the key and start engine I can hear what sounds like something struggling in the center dash area to move or open/close..just guessing blend doors for the drivers side sticking or???

It sounds like you have 2 different problems.

"Passenger side cold, drivers side warm" comments is a classic low freon description on these cars. In addition, AC pressure gauges will show the system operating within normal readings. It's low on freon.

The poping noise is likely a failing actuator.

Thanks Logan

I've noticed that if I wait several minutes for the creaking noise in the dash to stop, before I turn on the ac and put the fan on a slower speed, I'll get much cooler air form the drivers vents. It almost seems like the force of the air is moving the blend door so more warm air is blended in. I don't hear anything that I would discribe as a popping noise. What I hear is more of a rubbing noise like a door/flap might be warped from sitting outside in the Florida heat. I have noticed that when I put the sun shade in the front window,I get much cooler air from the drivers side ducts much sooner . That creaking/rubbing noise I discribed has only started since I brought the car down to Florida.

Low Freon should throw a code. A sticking mixer door should throw a code.

Have you run the codes? I believe that 2005 was the last model year that you could do that. If it's the first year that you *can't* run the codes on the A/C buttons, and it has OnStar, ask OnStar to read out the codes to you.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The 'drivers side warm...passenger side cold' complaint.

The car will not set a low freon code. If you put a set of AC gauges on all the readings will also appear to be within normal range.

It's a classic AC problem on Devilles and Sevilles. It's low on freon. One can of freon and about 15 minutes to put it in both sides will be ice cold.

I DO expect a actuator code to pop up if it's going bad.

• 3 years later...

Not sure if u fixed it yet but i have the same prob with my 05 deville except its the pass side with warm air.last year i replaced the actuator and it worked but now i have the same sound as u described..and once again ac is not working on right side or back seat..can u tell me what the issue was and what u did to fix it ??? Cant be blend door actuator since i already fixxed that problem.but as soon as creaking sound started it failed again..thanks 

This has been going on for years.....cold passenger side....warm drivers side....no codes set. 

Car is low on Freon. 

It's even talked about in the service manual.....'The A/C system is under charged but not enough to show a difference in low or high side pressures'.

As for the service manual....it mentions 2-3 degrees....figure more like 10-15 degrees difference. There will be no 'low freon' codes....AC gauges will read perfectly normal pressures. 

cadillachvac1.JPG

cadillachvac2.JPG

As for actuators....there are 3 may be 4 different ones. They do have a direct impact on outlet temperature. Typically the gears crack and slip on the motors. 

The creeking sound is a new thing..sounds like a sticking actuator no too sure..going to take out the actuator i replaced last yr and check it .and if thats fine i guess im taking apart the dash to find whats sticking or not opening .freon was check and it was over 2.5 lbs which is yet another issue..thanks for the help..these cars are great when they run but when they break its a pain to figure out lol

The creaking noise in the actuators is due to the gears being stripped and/or cracked.  If you have an actuator making noise, it needs to be replaced.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived