CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can anyone run a Car Fax for me?

98deville

Why bother? Their service was junk to begin with, and now it's been compromised by dealers offering free carfax reports which have been (historically) altered. The service only reports issues or repairs that have been reported to them and I think many escape that process. If it's a GM car you are thinking about buying, just go to a dealership and have them retrieve the service records. You'll be surprised by what you might find. This may also apply to other makes of vehicle as well.

Case in point. I owned a 1999 STS for a while. I ran a carfax on it out of curiosity and found no major issues, no accidents. Once while at a dealership for a recall, I asked them to look up the service history. Lo and behold, a two page list came up. including changing the steering rack! Maybe they were looking for the source of a noise, or maybe it was caused by a major accident, I'll never know. One thing for sure, Carfax didn't report it.

Use all the tools available to you as a buyer, including your own eyes and ears, don't rely on one single thing.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hello 98deville,

I agree with the other community members on this post. I would suggest speaking with your local dealership in regards to the service history that has been performed on this vehicle. Please feel free to private message me if you have any further questions. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.

Cadillac Customer Care

• 3 months later...

If someone has an open. Carfax or Autocheck account, would yourself please run 1G6KF5490XU710177. I am curious to the latest mileage report and the date it was reported. Thanks!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

speaking of carfax, I owned a 98 chrysler lebaron that got totaled, though I kept the car. I later ran a carfax just for kicks, yep it showed no accidents. It was totaled while I owned it, and I collected insurance, so I know the history. I figure carfax tells you if something was reported, so may be of some help, but not much.

speaking of carfax, I owned a 98 chrysler lebaron that got totaled, though I kept the car. I later ran a carfax just for kicks, yep it showed no accidents. It was totaled while I owned it, and I collected insurance, so I know the history. I figure carfax tells you if something was reported, so may be of some help, but not much.

Carfax and Autocheck only can report what is fed to them. I agree that for accidents, it is not worth much. DMV's report mileage almost without question and when buying a used engine or transmission, it is helpful to run a check to make sure the junkyard is being truthful on the mileage. The problem is once a car is old enough it is not required to report the mileage.

My local Chevy dealer ran the VIN for me and the last time there was a reported mileage was 10 years ago...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin or anyone really. Do you know how these facts get reported? Obviously the insurance co. didn't report mine.

Supposedly the insurance companies, body shops and the DMV's report it. Not all participate though.

I think they have gotten really pricy for the amount (or lack of) information they provide.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived