CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac Applies Art and Science to CTS Engine Sounds

DETROIT Cadillac engineers applied the principles of psychoacoustics, the science of sound perception, and car-guy instinct to create powerful and pleasant exhaust notes for the all-new 2014 CTS midsize luxury sedan and CTS Vsport.

1378490543215.jpg

Knowing that engine sound communicates throttle response to the driver, CTS engineers uniquely tuned each selectable driving mode – Tour, Sport and Track – to provide the driver with a specific sound impression of what’s happening under the hood.

Tour mode purrs with refinement. Sport mode growls with power. Track mode, only available on the CTS Vsport equipped with Cadillac’s first Twin-Turbo engine, roars even more aggressively.

The team drew upon its knowledge of what tones sound the most pleasing to human ears based on the study of psychoacoustics, surveyed the sounds made by competitor models and relied on their own ears when selecting final tones.

Engineers strategically placed microphones in the CTS cabin and used an integrated electronic sound enhancement system to execute the sound designs. The microphones listen to the roar of the engine and the enhancement system selects preferred tones to come through CTS’s Bose audio system. No artificial sounds are used.

“The sound enhancement system acts like a choir conductor, calling forth certain engine sounds to sing the loudest depending on the driving mode,” said Dave Leone, CTS executive chief engineer, Performance Luxury Vehicles. “We used our ears to tell us what sounded the best and programmed the system to listen for those tones. It is Cadillac’s Art and Science design philosophy applied to engine sound.”

The CTS has been the centerpiece of Cadillac’s portfolio for more than a decade. The third-generation CTS is one inch lower, five inches longer and more than 200 pounds lighter than its predecessor. The new car also has lower curb weight, higher structural stiffness and more horsepower than its primary competitors.

Engineered from the ground up to deliver a driving experience that combines sport-tuned handling with world-class comfort, the all-new CTS includes segment-exclusive Magnetic Ride Control and electronic limited slip differential, which constantly monitors rear-wheel rotation from one side versus the other to ensure optimal handling on a variety of road conditions. 

Pricing for the 2014 CTS standard model starts at $46,025, including $925 destination. Three Collections of option packages – Luxury, Performance and Premium – will be offered with either the 2.0T turbocharged four cylinder or 3.6L naturally aspirated V6 engine in either rear- or all-wheel drive. The CTS Vsport model starts at $59,995, including $925 destination, and features the new Cadillac Twin-Turbo 3.6L V6 (420 hp) in RWD only with Cadillac’s first eight-speed transmission.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

And, I believe, in a previous post, you notified us of a news item that the new CTS V-Sport lapped Nuremburg in three seconds faster time than the current CTS-V?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The pace will be that current Vsport slower than current V but faster than previous V.

So the new 420 hp Vsport was faster at the Ring than 1st gen 400 hp CTS-V

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Well, that's a relief. I thought when I read the e-mail version of he post (but didn't take the time to get it directly from the Forum, including the links and video and such, and *really* get informed), I was afraid that my platform had been left in the dust and could be beat with 100 less hp at Nuremberg with the new CTS platform; not bad news for Cadillac; what you say makes a lot more sense to me. If they did beat the current CTS-V with the twin-turbo V6, then there would likely be no V8 until they needed to one-up a competitor next year.

Now, about that next-generation platform with the new LT 6.2 liter V8 with designed-in forced aspiration (turbo or supercharger)...

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived