CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My son just bought his first car, 87 Deville Sedan. Motor and Transmission sound, Interior very good (needs a new headliner). Body very good, no rust, one 'crunch' driver-side rear roof-side area (hard to describe, lol) nothing some bondo can't repair, some faded paint areas. He only paid $600. The major issue is NONE of the windows will roll down. Previous owner says he replaced the motor on drivers side, didn't work. We have checked the breaker it is fine (switched the breaker with the horn breaker, horn still blows) It seems odd to me that all motors would be bad at same time, and if previous owner did replace motor, seems that would rule out the problem. Is there a relay somewhere, if so, anyone know where? A picture would be great as I'm more a visual learner or a step-by-step instruction as I'm pretty much car illiterate, lol Any help would be greatly appreciated!! (this mommy really likes this car and would love to see it restored :) )

If the breaker is functioning (as you tested with the horn), I think that you should check the electrical connection between the breaker and window motors. I guess there should be at least some part of the wiring that is common to all window motors, and I would expect to find a broken wire or contact there. I assume that you have tested all switches, i.e., the four switches at the driver's door as well as the three single switches on the other three doors.

You could buy a cheap multimeter and use it to check for 12 V at the cables reaching the window switches.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures or detailed information on how to access the cables for you, but in general: there must be wires between the circuit breaker and the window switches, and you need to make sure that they are not broken.

Stopped at a garage on my way home from getting tags, appears there is no relay for windows? Bought a 12volt tester, and hubby didn't seem to think it was getting power at the breaker itself, however, I think a friend of mine did check there and there was power (waiting to hear from him now). If there is no power going to the breaker, is it possible to disconnect the horn and wire the windows to that breaker, or will I just be asking for a 2nd short-out?

The very first thing you need to know if you are going to work on things like this is that, a new part is not necessarily a good part. I learned that the hard way. I put a new window motor in a mustang and decided something else must be the problem. After about a year of putting up with it still not working, I went to the salvage yard and tried one of theirs. Fixed. Of course I waited so long the warranty expired on the new one.

Thx. Sadly, it looks like our starting point is going to be where the breaker plugs in at (as stated i'm technically illiterate). There is no power there :(. Hopefully, there is just a poor connection at the box and we don't have to chase down the issue and pull our hair out.

Archived