CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Title says it all, but I just wanted to make sure of something before I went ahead and did this. I looked under there and it looks pretty tight and I've seen people saying that the oil filter adapter should be removed. I read a topic a couple of weeks ago that it's not needed to be taken off, but that was on a pre-2000 Deville. I would imagine there isn't a huge amount of difference, but just wanted to check if it's necessary on an 04. If it is, where can I find the O-rings for the adapter. Also, does anyone know what size this bad boy is? I don't have anything that will fit it.

I got the Low Oil Pressure - Stop Engine message the other day, but it didn't come back on until today so I'm thinking it's safe to assume it's the sending unit.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

The 2004 FSM has this procedure for replacing the oil sending unit:

Removal Procedure

• Remove the right engine mount.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the engine oil pressure switch (1).
  • Important: Note positioning of the switch for correct installation.
  • Remove the engine oil pressure switch (1) from the oil filter adapter (3).

Installation Procedure

• Install the engine oil pressure switch (1) to the oil filter adapter (3) in the same position as removed.
  • Tighten the engine oil pressure switch to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).
  • Connect the electrical connector (2) to the engine oil pressure switch (1).
  • Install the right side front engine mount.

The figure for both is here:

th_2004_Deville_Oil_Filter.png

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I really wish I would have come one here before I attempted that. I tried working around the engine mount. That was not a pleasant experience. I did, however, get it back in after some choice words. Thanks for the post!

-Dusty-

The FSM write-up on the oil pressure switch referred to another section on removing the engine mount. This would require supporting the engine in some way. The dealer solution is a special tool that hooks onto the strut towers and radiator support and then holds the engine up. A DIY solution is a two-by-six on a scissor jack placed on a cinder block.

When I was 23, I put an A/C on a 1959 Chevrolet from recycling yard parts, including a damper wheel with an extra belt groove, new brackets and belts, Freon plumbing, and a transmission-hump-mounted interior evaporator unit with through-the-floor condensation drains. I started at 9:00 AM by removing the grille. The shop that lent me space had several experienced A/C mechanics there, most of whom did not expect me to complete the job. All of them frowned disapprovingly when I removed the grille, then the radiator. At that point, I used four feet of extensions and a breaker bar, then a ratchet, to pull the damper wheel, then put the new one on, while sitting on a camper's canvas chair in front of the car. By 1:00 PM, I was checking the gauges to make sure that the right amount of Freon was in the system and that everything was operating properly, and was done a few minutes later. Stony silence.

If something is in the way, and it isn't a big deal to remove and replace it, get it out of the way. Your knuckles and your wife will thank you.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I have done them without removing the mount but foul language does follow. It is doable though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I think the hardest part about all of it was trying to thread it back into the adapter. It wasn't too bad getting it out.

So far it hasn't come back on, but I haven't driven it too much yet. I'll give it a week to know for sure. There was a fair amount of oil in the plugin so I'm guessing that was the issue.

-Dusty-

It's now been 5 days and I have not had the message come back on. I think it's safe to assume at this point the issue is resolved.

-Dusty-

• 7 months later...

Not a hard job on a 1996.

I was gonna do it myself but I'm having health issues again and don't think I want to get under there and do it. I'm due for an oil change so I may just let the shop do it when the filter is off. What do I need to get? Was gonna call my parts guy and get the AC Delco oil pressure sending unit. Do I need any gaskets or O rings? Do they have to pull the motor mount to do this? Looks like it can be done without pulling it..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I had mine changed on my 1997 ETC at an oil change. The only thing I supplied was the oil pressure switch. On the 1992-1997 E/K platform, I don't think you need to remove anything to get to the oil pressure switch.

I have planning this job for about 3 years!! I have the oem sensor in the box in the garage. I thought on the 96 we HAD TO remove the filter adapter, and put new o rings on. If it's just removing the filter and installing the sensor, I'll be up to that.

shoot. I dont even think I removed the oil filter. It wasnt the easiest job but it was doable on my back in the driveway

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed the same issue on my 1997 Eldorado ETC. The oil pressure light sometimes flickers at warm idle. Has done it twice this month. After the first incident, I checked the oil level and added a half quart and it seemed to resolve the issue, but it did it again today and the crankcase is definitely full. I just tried to find the part (oil pressure sending unit/switch) on Rock Auto but they seem to have four different A/C Delco part numbers listed for my car. Does anyone know the correct part number for the 97 ETC? Also, do I assume a shop would remove the oil filter to install the sensor? I don't really need an oil change, but how much oil should I expect to lose if the oil filter needs to be removed to replace the oil pressure sensor? You folks seem to concur that this is a relatively simple job on a 97 Northstar. What might a fair price be for this job?

I asked the filling station, which used a full-service auto technician for oil changes, to change mine as part of an oil change, which he did. I don't know whether he did it with the filter out but I suppose that one would do that if the filter was coming off anyway.

I only see one oil pressure sending switch part number for the 1997 Eldorado, AC/Delco D1836A, for $8.42. They also offer Airtex Wells and Standard for slightly less.

I just noticed the same issue on my 1997 Eldorado ETC. The oil pressure light sometimes flickers at warm idle. Has done it twice this month. After the first incident, I checked the oil level and added a half quart and it seemed to resolve the issue, but it did it again today and the crankcase is definitely full. I just tried to find the part (oil pressure sending unit/switch) on Rock Auto but they seem to have four different A/C Delco part numbers listed for my car. Does anyone know the correct part number for the 97 ETC? Also, do I assume a shop would remove the oil filter to install the sensor? I don't really need an oil change, but how much oil should I expect to lose if the oil filter needs to be removed to replace the oil pressure sensor? You folks seem to concur that this is a relatively simple job on a 97 Northstar. What might a fair price be for this job?

If you have an Amazon prime account, it ships free...

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1836A-Switch-Assembly/dp/B000C9OLBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394893916&sr=8-1&keywords=D1836A

Posted Image

To answer your question bout how much oil you lose by changing the filter, I would estimate about half a quart. The car takes 7.5 quarts and most dealers and service facilities put in 7 quarts, so it reads halfway between the ADD and FULL marks on the dipstick. The "CHECK ENGINE OIL" message comes on when the car is three quarts down, or down to four quarts, and the engine still has plenty of oil for normal driving (stay off the Autobahn, and avoid high-g twisties to keep the oil in the pan). I suggest that you check the oil before you start and make sure that it is at the ADD mark or above. Do the job, including a new oil filter, and check it again. If it is at a half quart below the ADD mark or above, and you don't see the "CHECK ENGINE OIL" message, I would just drive it until the next oil change.

Or, you can take the switch in with you when you get your next oil change and ask the mechanic to change it as part of the job.

Thanks guys. I think I'll have it done this month when my car is due for its NYS safety inspection. If he needs to remove the oil filter, so be it. No harm in replacing the filter early. I was probably looking at the wrong item on Rock Auto. This is what I saw. I'm going with your advice. Again, thanks to all. Here's to the 2014 car show season. Cheers!

vNcsddb.png

Thanks for the clarification Jim. As usual, I'm glad I came here first. What a tremendous resource. Again, thanks so much folks.

Archived